Thread: How do lefty throwers work out converting to catcher?

How do lefty throwers work out converting to catcher?

Anyway, my situation. Didn't have time to delve into the draft list this year, so had to go with commissioner's Autodrafting. I ended up with a 1B. (lefty all the way).

Anyway, it turns out I am a bit bloated at 1B/DH. I picked a young 23 year old. My longtime 1B is still around (though started out in a horrific slump, and being 34, he might be up for an end of the year pink slip). My best hitter is a RF whose RA is so hideous, he can only really DH. Neither the rookie pickup, nor the Autodraftee have RA to translate to moving to another position on the field.

However, the Autodraftee (a lefty) does have 100 AR, if a righty I would convert him to catcher without question. I've never had a lefty catcher, apart from a vet that was with a team that I had recently picked (and he only played about 25-30 games my first year with the team, before he retired).

Re: How do lefty throwers work out converting to catcher?

From the Help pages...

Lefties playing 2B, SS, 3B, and C
    In professional baseball, it is rare to see a player who throws left-handed playing 2B, 3B, SS, or C. As a result, CSFBL does not create left-handed players at these positions. This does not preclude you from putting a player who throws left-handed at one of these positions. The manager will avoid using players who throw left-handed at these positions at all costs. It is still possible, but a player who throws left-handed will only be used if there are no eligible players on the bench who throw right-handed.

Defensive penalties will be applied to all players who throw left-handed at 2B, 3B, and SS. The penalties are as follows:
    RANGE -20%
    GLOVE -10%
    ARM -40%
    A penalty will be applied to a catcher's arm rating with respect to base-stealing, based on the throwing arm of the catcher and the batting hand of the hitter at the plate. The penalties are as follows:
    RTC = Right-handed throwing catcher
    LTC = Left-handed throwing catcher
    RHB = Right-handed batter
    LHB = Left-handed batter
    TO2 = Runner trying to steal second base
    TO3 = Runner trying to steal third base

Stealing Second Base:
    RTC + RHB + TO2: No penalty
    RTC + LHB + TO2: -10%
    LTC + RHB + TO2: -15%
    LTC + LHB + TO2: -5%

Stealing Third Base:
    RTC + RHB + TO3: -5%
    RTC + LHB + TO3: No penalty
    LTC + RHB + TO3: -40%
    LTC + LHB + TO3: -40%

SO, at 100 AR, he wouldn't be too bad (though he may have a short shelf life considering how I've seen some catcher arms drop). He was the #19 pick, so we aren't talking about a likely future superstar.

Here’s an example from College Word Series. Keep in mind that this is a college league in which everyone must graduate after age 24 season or earlier, so it selects for SP more than a traditional league.

C Willard Morris (lefty catcher with 34 AR) has played 237 games at catcher. He has allowed 537 SB to just 117 CS. CS% rate is a pathetic 17.9%. Comes out to an average of 2.27 SB and 0.49 CS per game.

Morris has a .900+ OPS this year with good OBP skills. I can handle him giving up the SB.
    CSFBL Ranking:2014 #16, 2015 #33, 2016 #11
    Manager: Phoenix Roadrunners (1992-2035)
    -44 years: 41 winning, 33 P, 23 D, 14 C, 4 WS; Final Record 4130-2910 (94-66 average season)
    Coach: TAMU Aggies (1948-Present)
    -35 years: 27 winning, 24 P, 14 D, 11 C, 8 CWS
    -Current Prestige Ranking: #6/24 (based on prior 4 seasons)
    Manager: Tulsa Golden Hurricane (2023-Present)
    -36 years: 26 winning, 26 P, 20 D, 13 C, 9 WS
    Manager: Antarctica Antediluvian Anteaters (1981-Present)
    -18 years: 15 winning, 12 playoffs, 9 D, 5 C, 4 WS
    Manager: Storm's End Stags (1981-1990)
    -10 years: 8 winning, 8 playoffs, 4 D, 2 C, 1 WS
    Manager: Warsaw Winged Hussars (1991-Present)
    -6 years: 4 winning, 4 playoffs, 3 D, 2 C
    Coach: Miami Hurricanes (1964-1989)
    -23 years: 12 winning, 10 P, 3 D, 2 CWS

I pulled up an article from NY Times in 2009 on this topic.

Based on the article it seems the penalties are quite high for LH catchers, however maybe it makes up for bunts and plays at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitGloryDays View Post
    I pulled up an article from NY Times in 2009 on this topic.

Based on the article it seems the penalties are quite high for LH catchers, however maybe it makes up for bunts and plays at the plate.
    Can you share a link to the article? I'd love to see the hard research on this topic so we can adjust our numbers to be more accurate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/s...16catcher.html

The topic is kind of interesting. Either way, LH catchers are rare.
    Last edited by DetroitGloryDays; December 15, 2018 at 09:16 PM.