Thread: DH as the first substitute

DH as the first substitute

This factor is really annoying. I have several DH types who can't play the field at all and they keep being substituted for position players rather than following my depth chart. In that case it's almost like the depth chart doesn't even matter, the Sim just decides who to play and who not.
    The sooner this can be changed the better (I know it's system wide and not a bug).

Re: DH as the first substitute

Always fun, to have your DH who is a 1B with 30-ish RA play SS (and is a lefty thrower).

I do tend to sub liberally at game times when I am available at home. SO, I can choose somewhat who and when a player gets a day off. Though it'll still happen 2-5 times a season, no matter what I do (no matter how hard you try someone is really going to need a day off when you are at work)

Note: I think the worst, I had it in this was about 3 years ago, when my 41-year old DH (a LF who obviously had severely degraded RA) got into 7-8 games at 2B, I think he didn't make any errors (or only 1) but his range factor was below 3.00 (and 4 of 5 SPs were more GB than FB). To be fair, my 2B was both my best player and had weak EN, so I was pushing him probably too hard.

Edit: I think I've heard a couple years ago, if the backup on the depth chart is already in the lineup, that often contributes to that. At least sometimes. (though in those cases, kind of wish the computer would realize that guy in the lineup was the former SS, I might be converting to 3B, and I would be better with him playing SS, and the DH playing 3B if necessary.)
    Last edited by DTCT; November 16, 2018 at 04:34 AM.

DH as the first substitute

This I agree with completely.

Designated Hitters shouldn’t be the first defensive replacement chosen.

The depth chart for DH’s doesn’t need to be more than two deep (in case of a platoon) and the DH should not be considered for a defensive sub unless all of the other depth chart players are already in play or fatigued. Which I doubt would ever happen.

Then perhaps some of those bench guys might actually play...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The game does need to improve who gets put out in the field when the depth chart doesn't cover the situation or when there are a bunch of subs for the game. However, if you setup your DC well, you should be able to avoid the above situation 99% of the time. The DC actually provides you with 3 subs for each position. I notice that many people will fill in the #1 spot with their starters. The starters are in the lineups so you only need to put your backups on the DC. That gives you a 4-level depth chart for each position.

Quote Originally Posted by DiMo View Post
    The game does need to improve who gets put out in the field when the depth chart doesn't cover the situation or when there are a bunch of subs for the game. However, if you setup your DC well, you should be able to avoid the above situation 99% of the time. The DC actually provides you with 3 subs for each position. I notice that many people will fill in the #1 spot with their starters. The starters are in the lineups so you only need to put your backups on the DC. That gives you a 4-level depth chart for each position.
    How do you deal with the fact, no player can first on the depth chart at 2 positions. (at least that is what it tells me when I try to set it, which is really the sole reason I put my starters #1 on the depth chart).

Even so, been many times, the DH took the field, despite my #3 depth chart being free on the bench, 100 percent rested. I seem to remember at least once that same #3 guy being inserted in as the DH.