Thread: Player on 3rd base disappears in championship game 7

Player on 3rd base disappears in championship game 7

https://www.csfbl.com/game/playbypla...ameid=40350966

Where did Lambert go!? This cost Third Rock a tying run.

Third Rock Humanoids, Top of 4th:
    Lambert hits a single to left.
    Lambert steals second base.
    Strickland hits a single to center.
    McCann hits a ground ball to second, fielded by Steiner, Bynum commits an error, McCann reaches on an error.
    Silva hits a fly ball to right, caught by Cottrell.
    Hernandez hits a fly ball to third, caught by Gipson.
    Patterson strikes out.
    (0 runs, 2 hits.) SCORE: Terminus Psychohistorians 0, Third Rock Humanoids 0

Re: Player on 3rd base disappears in championship game 7

Ouch. Man that sucks. Hope you weren’t watching Gameview when it happened!

Sent from my iPad using CSFBL

He's still on 3rd base. Runners don't advance from 3b to home on ground balls. So he was at 3b, the error was committed, and he's still at 3b with runners also on 2nd/1st. He didn't tag up on the fly ball to RF, then the pop out to end the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    He's still on 3rd base. Runners don't advance from 3b to home on ground balls. So he was at 3b, the error was committed, and he's still at 3b with runners also on 2nd/1st. He didn't tag up on the fly ball to RF, then the pop out to end the ending.
    Nah man, he completely disappears from the screen. Never arrives on 3b. Watch the gameview.

That's just a bug in game view. He's still there.

https://forums.csfbl.com/showthread....rors-committed

There's several other posts talking about this, but I can't find them currently.

Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    This quote bugs me some. This was a double play situation, early in a scoreless game. The middle infielders would have been playing for 2 outs instead of a roulette play at home. This runner should have scored 99.9999% of the time with that hit to the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by djohnston View Post
    This quote bugs me some. This was a double play situation, early in a scoreless game. The middle infielders would have been playing for 2 outs instead of a roulette play at home. This runner should have scored 99.9999% of the time with that hit to the right side.
    Yep, you are completely right. Unfortunately it is currently how the game sim code works. Baserunners advancing on ground balls in many situations has been a complaint for years but it almost definitely isn't as simple of a fix as it sounds like it should be. Brian has said how difficult changing the sim logic is. For now, unfortunately all you can do is know that this is the way it is, accept when it happens in your favor, and try not to rage when it happens against you.

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy_03 View Post
    Yep, you are completely right. Unfortunately it is currently how the game sim code works. Baserunners advancing on ground balls in many situations has been a complaint for years but it almost definitely isn't as simple of a fix as it sounds like it should be. Brian has said how difficult changing the sim logic is. For now, unfortunately all you can do is know that this is the way it is, accept when it happens in your favor, and try not to rage when it happens against you.
    For color -- the difficulty is in deciding what should happen given a situation. If someone can give me play by play data covering about 10 seasons of professional baseball, complete with detailed plate appearance info, I could assess what professional players typically do in a situation and model it accordingly.

Think about the scope of just a fly ball: there are 7 possible "on base" situations, 3 possible "outs" situations, 9 different fielders who can catch the fly ball, current inning, 7 possible "close run differentials" (+3 to -3), the strength of the fielder's arm, the speed of the baserunner... there are thousands of different factors even if you "generalize" them (runner is fast normal or slow). The best way to determine the probability is to look at existing data, and populate accordingly. At one point in time I had access to some data and derived the best I could given what I had. If anyone has a good play by play source of real MLB games, I'd love to dig in.

User your imagination. The fielders were pulled in and the 2nd baseman misplayed the ball, but kept it in front of him so the runner didn't advance. The ball was a rocket at the 2nd baseman and he misplayed it, but didn't give the runner a chance to run. The sun blinded the runner and he didn't see the error. The runner tripped and fell and didn't get a chance to advance...

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    For color -- the difficulty is in deciding what should happen given a situation. If someone can give me play by play data covering about 10 seasons of professional baseball, complete with detailed plate appearance info, I could assess what professional players typically do in a situation and model it accordingly.

Think about the scope of just a fly ball: there are 7 possible "on base" situations, 3 possible "outs" situations, 9 different fielders who can catch the fly ball, current inning, 7 possible "close run differentials" (+3 to -3), the strength of the fielder's arm, the speed of the baserunner... there are thousands of different factors even if you "generalize" them (runner is fast normal or slow). The best way to determine the probability is to look at existing data, and populate accordingly. At one point in time I had access to some data and derived the best I could given what I had. If anyone has a good play by play source of real MLB games, I'd love to dig in.
    Right but you don't need to be 100% consistent with MLB data in order to at least have slightly more realistic gameplay though, right? I mean like let's just take the situation "runner on second base, less than 2 outs, grounder to the right side." In that situation you could probably just hard code in 75% of the time the runner will go to third regardless of any other factors and it would instantly make the game more realistic than the 0% advance rate that we have now.

Similarly, take the situation: runner on first and third, nobody out, double play, and let's say it's not a "close/late situation" (which we know is already being tracked). Well that runner should score close to 100% of the time, so that could be hard coded in as well.

I feel like there are only really a handful of situations that need to be improved:
    - runners advancing to third on a grounder to the right side
    - runners advancing to home on a ground out with less than 2 outs (defense "conceding" the run to get an out)
    - runners advancing to home on a double play with 0 out

I know there are a lot of factors to consider (I've tried building a similar game engine myself) but I don't see why there has to be an "all or nothing" approach... I mean we all intuitively know that baserunners advance on ground balls and I think nearly everyone would rather have the game reflect that even if the percentage might not be 100% consistent with the real MLB data.

The other concern is that the lack of runners advancing makes the FI pitcher very overpowered because now a ground ball is a dead out 100% of the time unless your defense makes an error. It takes a lot of nuance out of the game and devalues all other pitcher types, especially PO pitchers since in this game if you're going to make an out it's way better to hit a fly ball than a ground ball... even a foul out is better than a ground ball because sometimes the runner will tag and score!

Anyway it's your game, not mine, but this is just my opinion... I don't think we necessarily need 10 seasons of detailed data to model a few game situations that all of us understand intuitively.