Thread: Player Development

Player Development

There are many articles in the wiki for this site, but as a mentor league I think we should just have some quick reference threads. I notice quite a few teams that build up their minor leagues and try to utilize keeping good talent down to get better picks in the draft (by sacrificing potential wins) and keeping front office payroll low to max out development and scouting as much as possible. While it is a very feasible strategy, I'd like to remind everyone that age does play a factor in progression. Here are some quick points

Player Development
    All players do not necessarily reach their full potential in all ratings. However, players are more likely to reach their potential if they have more development points allotted. Each season, there are three sources of player development points:

0-10 points from a player's HIDDEN internal development ratings (you can't see these)
    0-10 points from a team's annual investment in player development ($500K per point)
    1-3 points from the Low Minors or AAA development bonuses

For players in Low Minors, the bonus is determined by age

Players aged 17-19 receive +3 points of development in Low Minors
    Players aged 20-22 receive +2 points of development in Low Minors
    Players aged 23-25 receive +1 points of development in Low Minors, but they would receive the same bonus being in AAA
    Players aged 26+ receive no development bonus in Low Minors

So players in LM after the age of 25 are receiving absolutely no benefit by being there and players over 22 would get the same bonus in AAA

For players in AAA, the bonus is determined by their major league (Active Roster) usage over the course of the season.

ANY player of ANY age can receive a +1 bonus in AAA – if, over the course of the season, the player had fewer than:
    6 games played / 21 IP (for pitchers)
    35 plate appearances (for hitters)

Although it is beneficial to cash in on LM bonus, $5M in development is 10 bonus points whereas LM bonus is an additional 2 or 3 points for the most part. Players in the MLB will still receive the full bonus from your player development fund

Re: Player Development

How do you prioritize Scouting vs Development/Drills? Do you keep them even or cut back on Scouting?
    World Series Champions:
    Sioux City Explorers (Iowa Farm League) - 2011, 2014
    Iowa Cubs (MLB ReMake - AAA) - 2014
    Harrisburg Senators (MLB ReMake - AA) - 2002
    Iowa City Raptors (WEBL) - 2000

What would you recommend if I am unable to get any allocation points due to high payroll. How will this affect what I see in terms of the draft players' statistics?

Hopefully some mentors or other people can chime in on these questions. It's strategy that some people don't like sharing. I don't really mind since there's 23 other teams and I'm not going to be the only one thinking what I think. Development is for helping your young players reach their full potential, drills are for slowing down regression of your older players. Some guys will never reach their potential even if you max out everything and some guys will start to break down whether you try to stop it or not. Scouting is just how accurate you want to be. It's really nice to know how good your guys are or the guys you're going to draft. Once I know most of my players and have bad picks in the draft, I tend to take away from scouting. If my whole team is young, I tend not to worry about drills. If my farm is depleted and only a few guys have a little ways to go in potential, I tend to take away from development. I think the consensus around the league is that development is the most important thing.

It just depends on the balance you want to have with your team. Maybe you want a hitter or pitcher in the draft, so your scouting for one or the other is much higher. Maybe you don't care so much about scouting and want to go all in on development and/or drills. I do have to say that I've asked questions about ratings and salary in the past, and I've been told it's always much more helpful to put at least 1 point in everything. When you have 0 points in scouting, you can have a large number of bad scouted ratings. Once you put that 1 point, it will most likely give you a good ballpark for how good most players are. It's better to be off 5-10 points than risk being off by 20-30 in some cases.

I still personally value development more than anything else. It kinda sucks if you have low development and really good scouting. Players won't go up very much in the offseason. They are all useful and it's just pure preference. And for the question of what do you do when your salary is too high and you have no money for front office allocations, it's something I deal with every year. I keep cutting 1 expensive guy a year to put that extra million in every category. This year, however, I won the world series and my payroll is just too high with guys all under 32. I think I'm gonna go this year throwing caution to the wind and double down on my team.

If you have a really high draft pick, I'd say find a way to put at least 5 points in development and 5 points in either hitting or pitching (whatever you'll go for in the draft). Sometimes you have to predict how good you're team will be. If they are just absolutely terrible, try to max out office allocations, if you think you have a shot at the playoffs, do what you can to make it. If you feel like you're middle of the road, do what you can and try to capitalize on young talent and developing your players

That is very helpful for many owners in this developmental league. Good job, bigtank2000!
    7th Grade Noob

Yes, thank you, some very good information there. I am picking up new things every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaldo View Post
    What would you recommend if I am unable to get any allocation points due to high payroll. How will this affect what I see in terms of the draft players' statistics?
    Your overall payroll doesn’t matter. What matters is the payroll for players in the majors and I believe AAA. Your front office payroll decides how much money you will have available to spend on allocations.
    7th Grade Noob

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPint View Post
    How do you prioritize Scouting vs Development/Drills? Do you keep them even or cut back on Scouting?
    Personally, I always prioritize scouting and development over drills because drills just keep the vets in shape.
    7th Grade Noob

Quote Originally Posted by lhu167 View Post
    Your overall payroll doesn’t matter. What matters is the payroll for players in the majors and I believe AAA. Your front office payroll decides how much money you will have available to spend on allocations.
    Players with 0 experience in AAA don’t add to your front office payroll either. Players with 0 experience in the majors do, though.

Sent from my iPad using CSFBL
    World Series Champions:

Quote Originally Posted by lhu167 View Post
    Personally, I always prioritize scouting and development over drills because drills just keep the vets in shape.
    I’m drafting really low this year and the drills may help extend my window to compete with this roster, so I’m going to try with just 1 point in scouting this season and see how much it sucks.

Sent from my iPad using CSFBL
    World Series Champions: