Thread: Franchise Baseball League (work in progress)

Franchise Baseball League (work in progress)

I know this site has been up for over a decade and it's pretty much set up for certain types of leagues. There are a few "gimmicky" leagues here and there that spice it up a little. My idea is to try to mix a little more MLB rules and processes to CSFBL. I can work out the finer details if there are enough owners willing to participate. Just right off the bat, this is not for the owners wanting it to be 8/day and 12 seasons per year. It will be in between 8/day and 4/day. Preseason will be paused every now and then to slow it down, May 6th until end of draft will be slowed down to 4/day, and September will be slowed down to 4/day. Playoffs will default to 4/day. The rest of the year will be 8/day. But here are some of the general, if not specific, details of what I'm proposing.....

1. 75,000,000 total salary hard cap

I may be wrong, but I feel that owners that get a little taste of the playoffs, start to put a little more money into their payroll so.....

2. 65,000,000 front office hard cap for World Series winner
    3. 60,000,000 front office hard cap for all other playoff teams
    4. 55,000,000 front office hard cap for everyone except for bottom 6 teams (I'll get to that)

Most teams should be pretty close to full front office allocations, but hard caps should prevent excessive hoarding. My idea here is that minor league systems shouldn't count towards hard cap. I don't want owners dropping players because their draft class put them over. I know that salary progression will still put owners over and fluctuating hard caps depending on team success will make cuts a necessity, but that will make the preseason fun.

5. Bottom 6 teams (according to CSFBL) will not have to cut their rosters in the preseason even if they are over the hard cap, but are NOT allowed to make ANY pickups. They will have a soft cap the entire season, so if they cut salary and get under 55,000,000, they can make trades or free agent transactions after front office allocations lock. These same teams will have their draft order chosen at random for the top 6 picks (ie. unlucky team 7 will get 7th pick of the draft and have to abide by the hard cap). The random order will not be lottery so worst team and 6th worst team have the same chance to get first pick of the draft. Hopefully with these stipulations, tanking will not be an option. I think it may cause a strange dynamic where you don't want to be the 7th or 8th worst team in the league. Also, the WS winner will always be last pick of the draft.

6. 3,000,000 will be added to every hard cap on June 30th to represent super 2 day so teams can feel free to bring up a stud minor leaguer or find a little more room for trades or free agent pickups.

7. September 1st I will enforce a no front office hard cap leaguewide so you can call up all the players you'd like for your playoff push and have a September call up feel. The catch however, is absolutely no pickups are allowed.

8. 1 international free agent will be created every preseason. World Series winner may have an edge here due to the increase in payroll and bottom 6 teams not being able to bid on them, but we will see how it turns out. Plus if the WS winner gets him and then doesn't make the playoffs, that will create some problems next preseason.

9. Every team must win 60+ per season and 350 per 5 seasons.

10. All players with 6 years experience (I'm going with overall experience to make things easier for everyone) will have to enter free agency. All owners will have 1 franchise tag they can use on 1 player for as long as they'd like so they won't have to be dropped. You can change the tag at the beginning of the year every year if you'd like, but once the tag is removed, the player must be dropped. All players must be dropped this one time.

11. Rule 5 draft: At age 26, any player with absolutely no MLB experience must be put into the rule 5 draft. The draft will be run in the order of last year's standings starting with worst team. No matter how many players there are, this will always be the case. So if around 3 players enter the draft, essentially the same basement dwelling teams can pick them up. Picks can be forfeited and any player drafted that does not play on the MLB team he was drafted for will be forfeited back to the original team. Owners with players that will be entering the rule 5 draft will be warned during the playoffs the season before so they can make changes if they'd like to prevent losing the player. Any owner that does not comply by 11/1 will be forced to enter his player into the rule 5 draft.

Draft picks can be traded before a pick is made. I'm probably going to give the league a couple of days after the draft list drops to get organized and have the first picks think about who they want. This is more about giving everyone enough notice to participate in the draft. The first pick can make his pick anytime after the list drops. Owners won't have to wait for me if they are ready, but the clock won't start running for a couple of days at least.

So these are the guidelines and just wondering who would be interested in giving it a go with the rules being as they are right now

Re: Franchise Baseball League (work in progress)

I like the idea, but will require A LOT of work from commissioners.
    2ML - Padres 1906, 1909, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1931, 1942, 1945, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1971
    BD - Antarctica 1993,1994, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2019, 2041, 2044, 2046
    CBF - Duck 2053, 2056, 2058, 2060, 2070, 2071, 2075, 2077, 2087, 2088, 2091, 2092, 2102, 2105,2106, 2107, 2116
    CWS - UNC 1953, 1954, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1979
    HR - Phillies 1901, 1903, 1905, 1906, 1917, 1920, 1921, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1927, 1929, 1931, 1934
    CarL - Port Royal 2026, 2039, 2043
    62-49 in WS

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpecula View Post
    I like the idea, but will require A LOT of work from commissioners.
    I'm definitely willing to do most of the work. I do see a need for at least 1 co-commissioner in case I don't have the time, but I'm willing to give this a shot. Hopefully it can turn into something like CWS where there are multiple people involved running it, but if we can get some experienced people to just be owners, I think getting the league started would be the biggest hurdle. I'm hoping people will give this a shot, but just seeing the initial reaction, it looks like I'm gonna have to be patient.

I'm imagining that during playoffs I'd get the rule 5 draft ready and delete available players as owners make appropriate moves. Then once the flip occurs, I create 1 PSFA, notify all teams of their new payroll, and run the rule 5 draft. Then probably around 3/26 game time, double check to make sure everyone is abiding by the caps and drop players starting with oldest. That will allow teams a day or two to adjust their lineups before the season starts. I still imagine slowing down the preseason to make it at least a week. I don't want to make moves due to owners being inactive. A week long preseason should be enough time, but I wouldn't be opposed to extending it as long as most of the league agrees.

From there, it's running the draft, telling everyone they can increase cap by $3m at the end of June, and cutting off free agency on September 1. I may be a little naive, but the preseason sounds like it would be a large chunk of the work and I think it would be nice to have seasons go for about 2-3 months at a time. This means I can definitely plan ahead.

So if anyone is willing to give it a shot at just being an owner, leave a reply here or PM me. I'll try to advertise every once in a while until we get at least 12 owners involved, then I'll post an update once we reach that point.

I'd be interested if this ever gets off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtank2000 View Post
    I'm definitely willing to do most of the work. I do see a need for at least 1 co-commissioner in case I don't have the time, but I'm willing to give this a shot. Hopefully it can turn into something like CWS where there are multiple people involved running it, but if we can get some experienced people to just be owners, I think getting the league started would be the biggest hurdle. I'm hoping people will give this a shot, but just seeing the initial reaction, it looks like I'm gonna have to be patient.

I'm imagining that during playoffs I'd get the rule 5 draft ready and delete available players as owners make appropriate moves. Then once the flip occurs, I create 1 PSFA, notify all teams of their new payroll, and run the rule 5 draft. Then probably around 3/26 game time, double check to make sure everyone is abiding by the caps and drop players starting with oldest. That will allow teams a day or two to adjust their lineups before the season starts. I still imagine slowing down the preseason to make it at least a week. I don't want to make moves due to owners being inactive. A week long preseason should be enough time, but I wouldn't be opposed to extending it as long as most of the league agrees.

From there, it's running the draft, telling everyone they can increase cap by $3m at the end of June, and cutting off free agency on September 1. I may be a little naive, but the preseason sounds like it would be a large chunk of the work and I think it would be nice to have seasons go for about 2-3 months at a time. This means I can definitely plan ahead.

So if anyone is willing to give it a shot at just being an owner, leave a reply here or PM me. I'll try to advertise every once in a while until we get at least 12 owners involved, then I'll post an update once we reach that point.