Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen base logic

Stolen base logic

Sorry if this has already been beaten to death, but can someone explain the logic behind when/why guys decide to steal a base?

I ask because of a particular instance that just drove me crazy lol.

We are down 0-2, top of the 8th inning, first batter hits a double, nice. Then this idiot, who clocks in with a blazing 27 Speed, decides to attempt to steal 3rd base! Again, while down 2 runs with no outs and with 27 speed. Oh and I should note that I have this team's steal setting at 1 (which I just now changed to 0 lol). And no, he didn't make it lol.

I've seen lots of infuriating steal attempts but this one just took the cake.

Thx

Re: Stolen base logic

I have a team that really has very few speed players, so I have my manager's stolen bases setting at 2, and I still have guys pulling stupid moves. A week or so ago, I had the bases loaded down by one with two outs in the 9th and my catcher gets caught stealing home to end the game. I wonder if there is some sort of hidden "aggressiveness" rating or something for individual players that we can't see.

But the thing may be that the sim can only be so smart, so these things happen from time to time.
    Last edited by randyb33; July 11, 2018 at 11:26 PM.

I crank it up to 10, myself. And find despite that a some players who should be going somewhat often don't in general.

Yeah even at a setting of 0 I still have guys with sub 50 speed trying to steal bases. Uggg...

Quote Originally Posted by Soul31 View Post
    Yeah even at a setting of 0 I still have guys with sub 50 speed trying to steal bases. Uggg...
    I will admit in real life even slower guys will attempt 2-3 steals a years, but they aren't likely to try those in higher leverage situations.

Stolen base setting at 2, runner at third has 9 speed. Guess what happens next...

... yep, he tries to steal home. LOL some things in this game I will never understand

Quote Originally Posted by EtaCar927 View Post
    Stolen base setting at 2, runner at third has 9 speed. Guess what happens next...

... yep, he tries to steal home. LOL some things in this game I will never understand

From the help pages Speed doesn't only represent raw speed but also base running ability. Maybe with a speed of 9 your player is not only slow but an idiot on the base paths and that is why he tried to steal home?

Quote Originally Posted by anyates View Post
    From the help pages Speed doesn't only represent raw speed but also base running ability. Maybe with a speed of 9 your player is not only slow but an idiot on the base paths and that is why he tried to steal home?
    Very interesting. I had not thought of that. That is information that can be used in choosing what players you want on your squad.

I don't know, I've had guys at single digit SP, and they just never attempted to steal. (or maybe go 0 for 1, every other year.)

I've had high-SP guys get caught a ridiculous amount of times (as many as 47 CS by one guy-who did get well over 100 SBs). It seems SP would be more of a combo of actual SP and willingness to run. Doesn't explain 9 SP guy stealing home. Like I said I have it on as reckless as you can get but, except for the ridiculously high-SP, they just don't go as much as you would think.

Maybe, the system gets "weird" if you have your rate amped up too high or too low.
    Last edited by DTCT; August 6, 2018 at 12:08 AM.

Well CSFBL doesn't yet have wild pitches or passed balls. So to make myself fell better I assume that in these situations that the guy tried to steal third after a passed ball and didn't quite make it. Or he was picked off, caught in a run down, etc.

Otherwise, It seems crazy. I once had a guy with SP 20 steal home... and make it! It was his only stolen base of the year.
    Last edited by Joejammal; August 8, 2018 at 11:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast