Thread: Hello from the UK

Hello from the UK

Hi,

I'm new to the game, I've joined the mentor league and taken over a team. I love watching baseball, I watch it pretty much daily but I don't specifically understand all the stats and tactics. Part of my reason for joining this was to try to understand the stats and the tactics more. If a mentor would like to give me some tips I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

Re: Hello from the UK

Welcome! I would definitely recommend checking out the How To Play section at the top of the game site, which has a lot of great information. Also, go ahead and click all the links at the top of your team page to get a sense of the different things you can do.

At this point in the season, your main focus will simply be tweaking your roster and lineups. I see your team is in second place, so you're already in pretty good shape. (The top two teams from each division advance to the playoffs.) When setting lineups, I usually look at a combination of players' previous stats and their ratings. So, here's a brief overview of what the ratings mean:

For hitters, the most important ratings are discipline (DI), batting (BA), and slugging (SL). DI affects the number of walks drawn by the hitter, BA affects batting average, and SL affects the number of extra-base hits.

Range (RA) is also very important for position players, especially at 2B and SS. If your defense has high RA, your pitching staff's performance will be considerably better. On your team, for example, SS Joseph Dickinson is an essential part of the team because of his RA.

For pitchers, the most important ratings are power (PO), finesse (FI), control (CO), and specialty (SY). I would probably rank them FI>SY>PO>CO, but all four are valuable.

Lastly, I want to point out the Front Office Allocations section on your team page. These can only be adjusted during the preseason, so you don't really have to worry about it yet, but it's something to be aware of. The more money you can put in, the better off your team will be. Development affects how fast players' ratings increase, Drills affect how fast they decline, and Scouting affects the accuracy of the ratings you see. With $3.5 million in scouting, the ratings you see should be fairly close to the players' true ratings.

If you have questions about specific aspects of the game, just let me know.
    "I didn't really say everything I said." -Yogi Berra
    51 World Series championships:

ALTRTA 93, 95, 09, 63, 66, 69; AJO* 81; ACL 02, 13; DPL* 17, 21, 29, 32; EE 86, 88, 91, 03, 22, 31, 39, 56; MLB 8s 83, 84, 97, 01, 03, 34; PCL 63; PGML 86, 92, 21; PP 26, 35, 36, 38, 58; REV* 16; RTTB (NCAA) 54, 56, 72, 76, 82, 95, 97, 03; SAL* 01, 12; TER 67, 87; TAB* 13, 14 (*retired)