Thread: Signing and Dropping multiple 50k Salary scrubs

Signing and Dropping multiple 50k Salary scrubs

Can someone explain the strategy behind this? I see teams do this in a couple leagues. You'll see them sign 10-15 bottom of the barrel FA at one point in the season and then they will drop all of those same layers at another point. These are generally the better teams in the league with vet managers, so I know it's not just an idiot doing these things. Maybe I'm the idiot because I can't figure out the purpose of it lol.

Thx in advance.

Re: Signing and Dropping multiple 50k Salary scrubs

Generally you would sign low salary scrubs to drop higher salary players to increase your front office allocations.
    If someone is signing 10-15 it may be them placing bids on them in hopes that they will get a few of them and end up winning the bid on all of them.
    LC

Yeah, I do this every season. The reason is that if you have a bunch of mediocre players on your roster, you might as well just drop these guys in the offseason, sign 50k scrubs to fill their place, and then replace the scrubs with different mediocre players after 4/1. That way you save a bunch of money on allocations.

In my opinion it's dumb that the allocation system in this game is structured in such a way that this kind of artificial salary cap manipulation is possible... but until allocations get changed to a rolling or cumulative system, you might as well take advantage of the loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by EtaCar927 View Post
    Yeah, I do this every season. The reason is that if you have a bunch of mediocre players on your roster, you might as well just drop these guys in the offseason, sign 50k scrubs to fill their place, and then replace the scrubs with different mediocre players after 4/1. That way you save a bunch of money on allocations.

In my opinion it's dumb that the allocation system in this game is structured in such a way that this kind of artificial salary cap manipulation is possible... but until allocations get changed to a rolling or cumulative system, you might as well take advantage of the loophole.
    Correct. It is a loophole to get more allocations. I do it as well but wish the system was different so that April 1 isn't so meaningful.

With more and more managers catching on to this, the scrubs are harder to sign in free agency. I'll draft a 50k scrub in the 3rd round (and even the 2nd round in a weaker draft) to help increase allocations the next season. I agree with the others -- not wild about the existence of the loophole but will use it as long as it's there.