Thread: How to spark a lineup, win friends, and a new job

How to spark a lineup, win friends, and a new job

LF John Vinson was a free agent in search of a job. At 27, not expected to be a world beater, but definitely could help someone.

Needing help, we grabbed him.

He played 6 games, 4 hitting in the 9 hole. Granted, it's a short sample, but we sensed a disturbance in the force. So we put him in the leadoff spot, where we have had a cast of characters rotate through.

In those 3 games, he's gone 4 for 10 with 5 runs, 1 double 2 HRs, 6 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K, and 5 SB.
    In the last 2 games, he's had a 2 HR, 5 RBI game and followed it with a 4 SB game.

John Vinson may not lead the team in steals (and if he does, holy hell! we already have a 39 and 36 steal guy right now), but John Vinson wants to lead this lineup. We shall let him.

Re: How to spark a lineup, win friends, and a new job

Hey, one of my former prospects! I really wanted to keep him a few years back as a potential 4th OF (loved that speed) but his salary had gotten bloated in the minors, and I didn't have the financial room for his limited game. Don't think #1 is his longterm role, but he would have been an ideal #9 hitter for my style if I could have found a way to keep him. Glad he at least has gotten a trial.

But, if he had just been happy with 700-800K instead more than twice that, he'd probably still be with me, (sigh)
    Last edited by DTCT; June 11, 2018 at 12:00 AM.

Oh and I noticed he decided to steal 2 bases against in last game, to rub in what I have been missing. Not the first time a former player has done that to me. (in fact, I am convinced in one league one former pitcher got severall All-Star nods by going to a division opponent and rubbing my nose in it at every opportunity for a decade)

What can I say? Former prospects come to life here.

C Leon Young, 2B Daniel Rosseau, and OF Jerry Graff are all former first rounders. 2B Zachary Pierce and SS Roger Shutis 3rd rounders making good, and OF Robert Curtis has a 40 HR-40 SB campaign to his credit.

But back to Vinson, even though he's cooled off some since his blazing start, he's been exactly what we've needed.