Thread: When releasing a long time member of the team.

When releasing a long time member of the team.

Since I am getting ready to do so. SP in his late-30s, and been with me close to a decade and a half. And a key member of the team's only championship under me.

I always feel a little bad doing this. Has to be done. But, I do develop sentimentality to certain players. So, how sentimental are other owners?

Re: When releasing a long time member of the team.

This whole thing is "pretend". For me, they are all players and I totally get attached. I always want the magic to last.
    "...turns out you don't grip a baseball. Baseball grips you".

I have one guy who has spent his entire career on my roster, leads my team in hits, is a .300 career guy, but his skills are seriously declining in his mid-thirties. I still can't pull him out of the everyday line-up. It's weird, but I feel like I'd be robbing the fans that don't exist a chance to watch a guy who is essentially just code from adding to his legacy even though he's well off his career pace.

Quote Originally Posted by randyb33 View Post
    I have one guy who has spent his entire career on my roster, leads my team in hits, is a .300 career guy, but his skills are seriously declining in his mid-thirties. I still can't pull him out of the everyday line-up. It's weird, but I feel like I'd be robbing the fans that don't exist a chance to watch a guy who is essentially just code from adding to his legacy even though he's well off his career pace.

Heh, players like that I often platoon, for what it is worth (or occasionally become my 150-200 AB a season role of being inserted into the lineup for every time I am at home and able to make 1 game substitutions-usually 1 time only on weekdays, 3 times a day on weekends/holidays)

It’s what makes the game. Bringing players to life and getting attached.

I'm always bummed when a declining veteran won't retire and I have to cut him.

I'm a bit sentimental, sure. However, I've only had a couple of guys I was really sentimental about, and usually pitchers. The new financial system has actually helped a lot because old declining guys are seeing significant salary drops and I can find a spot for them on the bench or in the bullpen usually, and they aren't a whole lot worse than what is on the FA wire.
    With that being said, I typically (now with only one team and that being in CWS, this is all out the window) employ a system where I typically try to trade or release guys whenever I feel their cost outweighs their productivity (i.e. Money all), and it's kept me from getting too attached to a ton of players.
    "The other team could make trouble for us if they beat us" - Yogi Berra