Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Improvements to Draft Depth - Discussion Thread

Re: Improvements to Draft Depth - Discussion Thread

Just had my first experience with the new and improved draft in TCB, and... well... it's easily the worst draft of the last 4 years in that league according to my calculations.

Recent total cumulative draft scores in TCB, according to my formula:

1996 - 20.746
    1997 - 18.929
    1998 - 18.015
    1999 - 17.605 (this year, with the "deeper" draft)

After about pick #15, this year's draft was worse than the 1996 and 1997 drafts, and after pick #22, it was worse than the 1998 draft as well (which was a very weak draft itself).

Put another way, the first round of the draft was on par with previous drafts (roughly), but then after that, the second and third rounds were much worse. Only the top 25-30 players in this draft are worth rostering at all. I have a late second round pick and I'm using it on a minimum salary pitcher (again) because there just are no players remaining who have even a remote chance of being valuable to my team.

All this said, I understand that this was not meant to be a dramatic change and that we can still expect a mix of weak and strong drafts. I hope that this was an exception to the rule and that most of the time the drafts will indeed be deeper and bring at least some amount of value to those second round picks.

seems like drafts have been getting worse (given small sample)

https://www.csfbl.com/league/view.asp?leagueid=2286
    https://www.csfbl.com/league/view.asp?leagueid=2256

first two league drafts I have seen since the change and they have been pretty awful

Agreed

Well, I picked #10, it did seem about the same overall. My biggest need was pitching, and it was probably the worst pitching draft I had seen in a very, very long time.

But, with a 31 year old 2B my 2nd biggest need was an heir apparent, and there was 3 2B and 2 SS who met my requirement RA-wise, which is about twice what I usually if not more. 3 in fact were still around at #10.

I cant say I took a real deep look at other positions, since I didn't have particularly deep needs elsewhere (I have an aging RF/DH, but corner OF has always been fairly easy to fill when I am in need. So, no real standouts at C/1B/3B/OF (beyond the #1 prospect CF) but that doesn't mean they are particularly weak (they could have quite a few of those improved late 1st/2nd picks)

Tilted Tables draft is not looking any different. I've got pick 15 and I only found a couple pitchers that were marginal considering the draft spot. I think one thing I've realized over the years is the drafts are devoid of much young talent. The good players seem to be mostly 20+, which go in the first ten picks or so. After that I'd like to see 20+ year olds with nice potentials, but lower actuals, where I might take a chance on seeing if they might develop; or teenagers where I have to wait for them to develop. Unfortunately, I rarely see the latter.
    Current
    MLB Remake-D. Tigers-1976-2059 and 2088- WS:2-1
    MLB Classic-Det Tigers-1993-2076 and 2125- WS:3-3
    Tilted Tables-S. Pilots 1991- WS:2-6
    CSFBL Justice-W.M. Whitecaps 2093-
    League of Legends-T.C. Walking Dead 2077- WS:0-2
    League of Champions-M. Marlins 2066-
    PGML-Musk. Clippers 2033- WS:0-1
    Little League-HH Indians 2036-
    Past

Coors Field-LA Dodgers WS:7-2
    MLB Remake AAA-Gwin Braves 2074-2089 WS:0-1
    MLB Remake AA-Read Phillies 2070-2086 WS:2-0
    Justice-C.B. Bonds 2042-2058 WS:1-1

I've seen about 4-5 drafts, mostly with full scouting. I've noticed significant increase in quality in the 2nd round, lasting in the early third sometimes. Have noticed some better choices at the high end, specifically in RA in the middle infield.
    -Parce que j'ai le jeu, mes chiennes.
    -Translation; 'cause I got game bitches!

Join the Remake Leagues! No Experience Necessary.

Simple Rules:

1. Stop recruiting new owners for your half dead crappy leagues. Your efforts would be better used looking for a stable league with owners who actually care about their teams. Winning the world series in a half unowned league is not worthy of your time.

2. If you are trading an elite item like a no1 overall pick or a superstud player, then dont take the first offer you get. Advertise your availability to the league to maximize your return. Your trade partner is not going to protect you from underselling yourself.

3. Quoted from a thread about Monopoly gameplay: "This strategy will end up killing you in the long run. You WANT to make deals. You WANT to be easy to do business with. If players get the impression that you're always going to ask for unreasonable demands, they'll trade with other players, leaving you out of those trades, meaning you get nothing of value while they benefit. Remember, your goal in a trade should not be to screw your trading partner, but to screw anyone who isn't your trading partner. Then people will catch on and realize that if they're not going to give you fair rates, they're going to be left out in the cold, which means that you shouldn't be dealing with people who play that way either."

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Tilted Tables draft is not looking any different. I've got pick 15 and I only found a couple pitchers that were marginal considering the draft spot. I think one thing I've realized over the years is the drafts are devoid of much young talent. The good players seem to be mostly 20+, which go in the first ten picks or so. After that I'd like to see 20+ year olds with nice potentials, but lower actuals, where I might take a chance on seeing if they might develop; or teenagers where I have to wait for them to develop. Unfortunately, I rarely see the latter.
    Yeah TT was the one I was talking about-I did notice I overlooked one pitcher who would have fit well in the staff, that went next block. But still getting a middle infielder who can both hit and field probably is better in the long run (even if it was one picked specifically to be an heir apparent in 4-5 years, it is still nice to have that to not worry about year to year, my pitching staff cant be healed with one pick anyway-my fault for having the exact same rotation for about 5 years letting them get older and older)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdbpimpin1 View Post
    I've seen about 4-5 drafts, mostly with full scouting. I've noticed significant increase in quality in the 2nd round, lasting in the early third sometimes. Have noticed some better choices at the high end, specifically in RA in the middle infield.
    Would be nice to have a decent 3rd rd pitcher for a change. I can only think of one 3rd rd pitcher ever that gave me any value, and that was one that had been cut from elsewhere and was a FA pickup. (most of the other 3rd rd pitchers that made the majors were 6.00-7.00 ERA relievers-that were essentially 10th or 11th in innings at the end of the season)

I have had a few position players in the 3rd that were solid role players.

The TML draft has a dozen pitchers who look like solid, ready to throw at 24, rotation guys. I didnt see the high end talent most people expect at #1 but that a different topic
    “I’m not really looking to do a lot of work right now. I’m looking to do the exact opposite of that.” -Jay Cutler

2016: 3,437-3,070 (.528) ~ 4 WS
    2017: 8,035-6,518 (.552) ~ 8 WS
    2018: 2,112-1,890 (.528) ~ 7 WS

Only 1 full season below 60 wins

TMLAnaheim Angels(1959-)1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1983, 1984
    CarLKingston Clownfish(2017-)2022, 2027, 2031, 2032
    LEGJuan More Inning(2033-)2045, 2046, 2047, 2051, 2054
    DodgersCalifornia Beach Bums(1950-)1953, 1955
    GOATUnderpants Gnomes(1994-)1997, 1998
    CWSStanford Cardinal(1977-) 
    TCLMisty Mountain Hoppers(2101-)2109
    WBCVenezuela(1925-1932,1937-)1925, 1928, 1930, 1937

Sweet-1886, 1888, 1891, 1892, 1897, 1898, 1900
    AA-2100 | ThrowB-2018 | TP-1983 | BD-2038 | AAA-2101

Remember there is always going to be a random factor to drafts, that wasn't removed. So some drafts will be better/worse then others. Also we didn't increase the high end talent, just increasing the chances of more depth type players who could be starters.

We're taking baby steps with the adjustments and will continue to monitor them.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast