Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: All owners please read - expectations

  1. #1

    All owners please read - expectations

    Another league I'm involved with had an incident involving a well established owner, who decided to dump his entire roster into the FA pool two sims before the regular season was due to start. Presumably the intent was to make it all but certain to receive the #1 overall pick for many years to come. The league had no formal policy against this but the Commissioner reassigned all the released back to the roster from where they came. The owner subsequently left the league without any other action being taken.

    I don't believe in excessive regulation and rules. So I'm not going to over react and institute elaborate anti tanking or anti competition rules here. Honestly, I don't want to track wins etc and make the Commish duties unduly complicated.

    Let's keep it simple. The Commissioner(s) at their discretion can take action against an owner who takes blatant actions against the competitive nature of this league. This would include such actions as obvious moves at tanking your team with no apparent intent to win or compete, colluding with other teams in an unfair manner or any other action that disrupts the competitive nature of the league. Normal actions such as "rebuilding a team" by trading top talent for future prospects or picks is not considered a violation of this policy.

    Possible consequences, depending on the severity of the infraction, include expulsion from the league (after an up or down vote of the owners) and/or a reversal of the offending action (i.e. Reassigning released players). A majority of voting owners would be required to expel an owner under these circumstances. Votes will be cast via PM to the Commissioner(s). In the event of a tie vote, the Commissioner(s) will make the final determination.

    Well there it is. It is my hope this never comes into play. But I felt it necessary to have a policy in place.

    Any concerns let me know.




    Sent from my iPad using CSFBL

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mental Asylum
    Posts
    5,771

    Re: All owners please read - expectations

    Well I certainly hope people wouldn't tank, but with this being a new league there is often a large disparity between good and bad teams. After about 1995, it will become far more evident when a team is tanking. Tanking can take many forms, but there are situations where a team can become incredibly bad without tanking.

    That is a team that pushes a good run with talented players until they all get really old. Often times that team's cupboards are bare from having squeezed every drop of blood from the turnip to keep winning during there run, thus when it ends they will be bad for a long long time.

    Another way a team can get worse without it being tanking is to trade away veterans for draft picks, the team will get worse in the short run to try for a quick turnaround. This can backfire with a couple of bad drafts though, so not recommended for the faint of heart.

    This is the form of rebuild I like to do, we might be really bad for a couple of seasons, but with loads of draft picks we can bounce back quickly. When I have a team on the upswing, I trade away picks for players, on a rebuild I trade away players for draft picks.

    Oh and just so you realize, my 6 million dollar player in the minors is only staying one more season so I could switch his defensive position, otherwise he would have come up this year.
    21-7 World Series Record

    I am getting SO tired of slitting the throats of people who call me a violent psycopath

    Greatest Players I have managed:
    Bruce Myles
    George Clark
    Robert Stone
    Richard Wood
    Jason Moore


  3. #3

    Re: All owners please read - expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Well I certainly hope people wouldn't tank, but with this being a new league there is often a large disparity between good and bad teams. After about 1995, it will become far more evident when a team is tanking. Tanking can take many forms, but there are situations where a team can become incredibly bad without tanking.

    That is a team that pushes a good run with talented players until they all get really old. Often times that team's cupboards are bare from having squeezed every drop of blood from the turnip to keep winning during there run, thus when it ends they will be bad for a long long time.

    Another way a team can get worse without it being tanking is to trade away veterans for draft picks, the team will get worse in the short run to try for a quick turnaround. This can backfire with a couple of bad drafts though, so not recommended for the faint of heart.

    This is the form of rebuild I like to do, we might be really bad for a couple of seasons, but with loads of draft picks we can bounce back quickly. When I have a team on the upswing, I trade away picks for players, on a rebuild I trade away players for draft picks.

    Oh and just so you realize, my 6 million dollar player in the minors is only staying one more season so I could switch his defensive position, otherwise he would have come up this year.
    Yep agree with this. This is why I did not propose a specific "number of wins" as evidence of tanking. Many leagues do this as you know. This policy applies only to very extreme measures which will be obvious if they occur. In the example I cited above, the team's total salary after the purge was under $6 million.

    The policy also gives recourse if cheating or other unfair competitive practices occur. I don't want to listen to the excuse " but it wasn't in the rules". . . Here it is in writing.

    We are not splitting hairs with this. It's ok to rebuild and all that. But we are not going to let someone get carried away and trash the league. Thus the policy.


    Sent from my iPad using CSFBL

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mental Asylum
    Posts
    5,771

    Re: All owners please read - expectations

    The much harder way to catch some one cheating, is if they get about 10 scrubs and keep their real quality players in the AAA only periodically having their real team on the field. I actually caught an owner doing this once, but only because I had previously owned that team and knew the roster really well.

    Agree that Wins requirements are just a band aid that can punish a team not tanking. The other common method used by other leagues is the lottery for the bottom .. 8, 6, 4 teams whatever they set up, but again that can be too punishing to an owner that gets dealt a raw hand on the team they have. The best cure for tanking is active owners in my opinion.
    21-7 World Series Record

    I am getting SO tired of slitting the throats of people who call me a violent psycopath

    Greatest Players I have managed:
    Bruce Myles
    George Clark
    Robert Stone
    Richard Wood
    Jason Moore


  5. #5

    Re: All owners please read - expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    The much harder way to catch some one cheating, is if they get about 10 scrubs and keep their real quality players in the AAA only periodically having their real team on the field. I actually caught an owner doing this once, but only because I had previously owned that team and knew the roster really well.

    Agree that Wins requirements are just a band aid that can punish a team not tanking. The other common method used by other leagues is the lottery for the bottom .. 8, 6, 4 teams whatever they set up, but again that can be too punishing to an owner that gets dealt a raw hand on the team they have. The best cure for tanking is active owners in my opinion.
    Active owners definitely the answer. We are moving in the right direction here for sure. That's what's surprising in the other league. This guy was a good owner. Numerous WS under his belt and knew what he was doing. Then bang he did this. Good way to ruin your reputation. I believe he left the game...but I'd bet he'll change names and come back.


    Sent from my iPad using CSFBL

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mental Asylum
    Posts
    5,771

    Re: All owners please read - expectations

    Wouldn't have been Rando by chance?
    21-7 World Series Record

    I am getting SO tired of slitting the throats of people who call me a violent psycopath

    Greatest Players I have managed:
    Bruce Myles
    George Clark
    Robert Stone
    Richard Wood
    Jason Moore


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,465

    Re: All owners please read - expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Wouldn't have been Rando by chance?
    No haha, Rando likes to go all in on winning right away
    2016: 3,437-3,070 (.528) ~ 4 WS
    2017: 8,035-6,518 (.552) ~ 8 WS
    2018: 2,112-1,890 (.528) ~ 5 WS

    Only 1 full season below 64 wins

    TMLAnaheim Angels(1959-)1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1976
    CarLKingston Clownfish(2017-)2022, 2027, 2031, 2032
    LEGJuan More Inning(2033-)2045, 2046, 2047, 2051, 2054
    DodgersCalifornia Beach Bums(1950-)1953, 1955
    GOATUnderpants Gnomes(1994-)1997, 1998
    CWSStanford Cardinal(1977-) 
    TCLMisty Mountain Hoppers(2101-) 
    WBCVenezuela(1925-1932,1937-)1925, 1928, 1930

    Sweet-1886, 1888, 1891, 1892, 1897, 1898, 1900
    AA-2100 | ThrowB-2018 | TP-1983 | BD-2038 | AAA-2101

  8. #8

    Re: All owners please read - expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_T View Post
    No haha, Rando likes to go all in on winning right away
    Lol.


    Sent from my iPad using CSFBL

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    387

    Re: All owners please read - expectations

    I'm all aboard with your thinking and rules. I've had some pretty awful teams but I can't really say I did things to TRY to lose. I paid a little less attention, didn't rest guys when I should have, didn't adjust my batting order... that's about as far as I've gone. I've been tempted, ya know I've never had a #1 pick! Haha. But even with my bad teams I find myself tinkering with the lineups usually.

    Thanks for setting the bar on adequate ownership.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Well I certainly hope people wouldn't tank, but with this being a new league there is often a large disparity between good and bad teams. After about 1995, it will become far more evident when a team is tanking. Tanking can take many forms, but there are situations where a team can become incredibly bad without tanking.

    That is a team that pushes a good run with talented players until they all get really old. Often times that team's cupboards are bare from having squeezed every drop of blood from the turnip to keep winning during there run, thus when it ends they will be bad for a long long time.

    Another way a team can get worse without it being tanking is to trade away veterans for draft picks, the team will get worse in the short run to try for a quick turnaround. This can backfire with a couple of bad drafts though, so not recommended for the faint of heart.

    This is the form of rebuild I like to do, we might be really bad for a couple of seasons, but with loads of draft picks we can bounce back quickly. When I have a team on the upswing, I trade away picks for players, on a rebuild I trade away players for draft picks.

    Oh and just so you realize, my 6 million dollar player in the minors is only staying one more season so I could switch his defensive position, otherwise he would have come up this year.
    I also use that philosophy for rebuilding and gaining strength when on the upswing. For some reason, I was unable to deal anyone away in this league. I was forced to just dump some high salary players over the course of a few years, while I got worse and worse and strategically drafted. We shall see if it worked soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •