Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter or closer?

Starter or closer?

I recently took over a team with an interesting pitcher: Moises Boone. https://www.csfbl.com/player/view.asp?playerid=4628676

Fully scouted: 96PO, 91FI, 40CO, 81SY, 64EN -4 righthander. Age 26, first year in majors. (I don’t know why he wasn’t called up before I got the team). He’s reached his full potential in all ratings.

As a starter he only lasts 5 innings. Sometimes they are very good innings and sometimes he gets hit.

As a closer he’s lights out (see his game log).

He seems like a natural closer, but his salary is over $5 million and rising. I hate paying that to any reliever.

What would you do with him?

Re: Starter or closer?

12.7 K/9 IP is definitely eating up his pitch count. I'm not sure what you have SP fatigue set at but I would have it set to -30% and see where that takes him.
    LC

In my opinion a guy that good needs to start even if he only gives you 5 innings. He can close in the playoffs but in the regular season I think he's more valuable as a starter, unless you already have a really good rotation without him.

Starter. 5 or 6 innings every 5 days is better than the number of innings a closer will pitch.

Update: I changed my manager settings as suggested by lostcanadian. Boone still only pitched 5 innings in his next 2 starts (so consistent!), but in his latest start he put on his big boy pants and went 8 innings. In fact he pitched a PERFECT GAME through 8 innings and then the manager yanked him.

https://www.csfbl.com/game/boxscore.asp?gameid=38763749
    Last edited by Threerunhomer; January 14, 2018 at 09:47 AM.

absolutely a starter, it is bizarre that he has 20% seafat so early in the season though.

he does look like a massive overscout though, if he's not rocking it by age 30, I'd be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Threerunhomer View Post
    Update: I changed my manager settings as suggested by lostcanadian. Boone still only pitched 5 innings in his next 2 starts (so consistent!), but in his latest start he put on his big boy pants and went 8 innings. In fact he pitched a PERFECT GAME through 8 innings and then the manager yanked him.

https://www.csfbl.com/game/boxscore.asp?gameid=38763749
    Well that sucks! Combined no-hitter pfff or possibly once in a career perfect game? There should be a game code the would cancel any manager settings when pitching a no-no.
    LC

64 EN is solid , even for a power pitcher. He should be a 7 inning guy.

I tend to be wary of starting low-EN guys, but 64 beats my threshold (anything over 60 is automatic SP-potential if they are good enough, and I don't necessarily shirk pitchers in the low 50s, depending on style.

And yeah, I generally don't like to go too much over $2M for closers, then again in one league I had a 3-year stretch where I lead in blown saves so......... (I had 50 combined in those 3 years, I think 2nd most was 44, and a couple of seasons I missed the playoffs by 4-5 games)

Quote Originally Posted by lostcanadian View Post
    There should be a game code the would cancel any manager settings when pitching a no-no.
    This. I usually like to have the "always use closer" option selected, but this means that guys will always get taken out in the 8th inning even if they have plenty of energy left and are working on a no-hitter.

There should be a checkbox in manager settings that just says "keep pitcher in game if working on a no-hitter" or something like that, and that would override the use closer option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast