Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2059 News and Highlights

Re: 2059 News and Highlights

Quote Originally Posted by DTCT View Post
    Looking at the standings: Texas, we are actually only 4 games out of 2nd place, how did that happen?

I was hoping to play a couple of veterans a little more at the end as a goodbye tour, too.
    Nobody wants to win Div III this year. Well, maybe Release the Kraken does...

Quote Originally Posted by asklater View Post
    Nobody wants to win Div III this year. Well, maybe Release the Kraken does...
    True, part of me always wants to make the playoffs, but given the team's state of transition....I really need some high draft picks.

I guess part of the reason for me getting back in the race was that I signed 3 FAs in mid-August to see if they may have future role player value, and give them extended time to prove themselves. They are all hitting .300+.

Well, I am 2 behind from 2nd place Perris, and we have a 4 game series coming up now, if I win 3 of 4 it'll be an exciting final weekend on the scoreboards. If I win less it is pretty much over.

How The Kraken have managed to stay ahead of this division despite a negative run differential, I will never understand.
    Things could be worse. Suppose your errors were counted and published every day, like those of a baseball player. ~Author Unknown

3.5 back with three games to play means I'm probably done, barring a miracle...

Yeah, the Perris series didn't work out. Did find some bright young spots offensively this year

23 year old rookie 2B Francis Harris hits 41 HRs

19 year old rookie SS David Specht is hitting .317, he has played over all over the field, will probably be the 3B of the future, though I will likely keep him in a utility role, so he can be a backup SS, until I get a SS replacement up and running.

27 year old castoff OF Lyman Miller has hit .330 in end of season trial. Showing he might be a solid option as lefty hitting platoon player

26 year old Walter Dewalt hit .283 until I sent him to the minors to give trials to late season pickups. A switch hitter, his playing time will likely be limited due to lack of power and defense, but he probably makes for a perfect 11th man or so coming off the bench for spurts.

Could use some young pitchers to come through though

And 40+ year old legend Morris Erickson, proved he could still, as long as he got only a start a week, probably should retire though, nothing really left to prove.
    Last edited by DTCT; January 17, 2018 at 09:46 PM.

Ironically, my big weakness was mostly pitching and my only 2 All-Stars were pitchers. (though my rookie 2B Francis Harris got hoodwinked, no offense to the guy who made it, but it seems that .264-41-113 would beat .298-17-79). Maybe he is in a feud with the local media a la Ted Williams.

Interesting. I get the ROY winner, but instead of Harris, it was super-utility David Specht. Choosing the .316-BA/.400 OBP guy with 8 HRs over the 41 HR guy. Don't get me wrong, in real life, I am one of those guys who thinks HRs are overrated sometimes. And Specht played a pretty pivotal role once he got going as my #2 hitter. But, I do feel Harris deserves more recognition than he got, his early season power display was probably the main thing that kept us close enough to make a late season push, when everybody else fell into their roles. (plus Harris is a solid defender up the middle, Specht played many positions, but isn't a good defender-I think he'll eventually settle into a good hit/solid enough field 3B role, but I need him now in a more fluid role)

A shame I cant get both a ROY share, though. Probably my best rookies in WEBL in quite a while.

Morris Erickson finally decided to retire on me, instead of trying to take a hand at being a 4-decade player. Managed to go from 2037-59.

He actually did pretty good his last year (.284) in limited time (33 games). Ended up just short of 4200 hits and 790 HRs

thanks all!
    -Parce que j'ai le jeu, mes chiennes.
    -Translation; 'cause I got game bitches!

Join the Remake Leagues! No Experience Necessary.

Simple Rules:

1. Stop recruiting new owners for your half dead crappy leagues. Your efforts would be better used looking for a stable league with owners who actually care about their teams. Winning the world series in a half unowned league is not worthy of your time.

2. If you are trading an elite item like a no1 overall pick or a superstud player, then dont take the first offer you get. Advertise your availability to the league to maximize your return. Your trade partner is not going to protect you from underselling yourself.

3. Quoted from a thread about Monopoly gameplay: "This strategy will end up killing you in the long run. You WANT to make deals. You WANT to be easy to do business with. If players get the impression that you're always going to ask for unreasonable demands, they'll trade with other players, leaving you out of those trades, meaning you get nothing of value while they benefit. Remember, your goal in a trade should not be to screw your trading partner, but to screw anyone who isn't your trading partner. Then people will catch on and realize that if they're not going to give you fair rates, they're going to be left out in the cold, which means that you shouldn't be dealing with people who play that way either."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123