Thread: 'Sean Taylor' Factor

'Sean Taylor' Factor

I know clutch factors have been discussed, (and proven to be nonexistent, as I'm sure this one is) but has anyone experienced a thing that I like to call the 'Sean Taylor' factor? I named this after one of my first players, he had incredible ratings and started his career as a closer, in which he sucked. After 2 seasons started (in which he was benched in both of them), he had an ERA above 11. The 3rd season, I moved him to middle reliever, where his ERA stayed below 3. Middle defense was pretty much the same. Another man I have with great ratings, Craig King, was taking L's as a closer, but has been on fire as a middle reliever, so it's happened multiple times to me. Any thoughts on if this is a coincidence?
    Join MLB Blitz!

Quote Originally Posted by V.I. Incandenza
    man it's also really funny to see how much negative war prople have on their rosters. it's like dog by definition you can immediately replace that guy for free

Re: 'Sean Taylor' Factor

Well, I have had a couple of pitchers who sucked in a role and proved valuable in another. Closer-roles generally have to be earned on my teams, so rookies want normally get the role.

I do currently have a closer, who is a great regular season guy, but fails to get anyone out in the postseason, so I make him a setup, and put the odd-man in the rotation at closer last couple of years (or I do once that SP recovers from his last regular season start)

I did have a pitcher one time, who made the All-Star team 3 times in his career. 1st time as a MR, 2nd as a CL, and finally once as a SP. He was SY-knuckleballer. And never had made double figures in GS until he was around 32. ANd his 2nd year in rotation, he was pretty much the ace. After about 4 years as a SP, he couldn't cut it there anymore, so he got another 1 1/2 years as a closer before he could even be effective in relief anymore. I think his career path was essentially LR-MR-CL-MR-CL-MR-CL-SP-CL-LR (he had a couple of erratic bullpen seasons where he would lose the CL job and regain it, for about 3-4 seasons with that team whoever began the season at CL would pitch to a high ERA until they got demoted from the role, he finally racked up several 30+SV season until I had a severe SP shortage, so I decided to give him a shot, as a couple times I had put him in the rotation where he would do fine for 3-4 starts as a SP before the league caught up, and I had little to lose at the time)