Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSFA's

PSFA's

Just touching base on the topic of created free agents. How do owners feel about them now that we've used them a few seasons?
    Current
    MLB Remake-D. Tigers-1976-2059 and 2088- WS:2-1
    MLB Classic-Det Tigers-1993-2076 and 2125- WS:3-3
    Justice-W.M. Whitecaps 2093- WS:1-0
    League of Legends-T.C. Walking Dead 2077- WS:0-2
    League of Champions-M. Marlins 2066- WS:3-0
    Brockmire League-Det Wolverines 1981- WS:2-0
    Past

Coors Field-Dodgers WS:7-2
    MLB Remake AAA WS:0-1
    MLB Remake AA WS:2-0
    Justice-C.B. Bonds 2042-2058 WS:1-1
    PGML-Musk. Clippers 2033-2037 WS:0-1
    Tilted Tables-Pilots 1991- WS:2-6

Re: PSFA's

My only issue with PSFA are the amount we create. I think 6 is too many. Almost every year has produced a surefire or borderline HOFer. That is way too often to have stud players produced. I do not want to do away with it completely. The PSFAs give teams an opportunity to potentially get that one missing piece that could help them compete. As much as we would like to all form our teams through the draft, that is not always possible. A team may literally be one player away and they are lucky enough to have that guy get created. This could be the difference between a team wallowing in the middle of the pack and competing for a playoff spot.

My suggestion is to drop down to only 2 or 3 players created. This should make it to where a stud is not created every year.
    Last edited by Runnys; October 12, 2017 at 01:32 PM.

I'd turn them off for at least MLB. Maybe you could leave 3 on for AAA and 6 on for AA just to get new owners experience in scouting through FA and bidding that way.

At the MLB level though owners should be comfortable enough drafting and trading that injecting extra talent into the league isn't necessary. It blows up salaries and depresses trading because you can just wait for a flip and try to acquire talent without having to give up much of anything. Terrible teams already get great draft picks--more than enough to rebuild over a few years--no need to give them extra 1st rounders to further increase the advantage in rebuilding with a bad team.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Runnys View Post
    My only issue with PSFA are the amount we create. I think 6 is too many. Almost every year has produced a surefire or borderline HOFer. That is way too often to have stud players produced. I do not want to do away with it completely. The PSFAs give teams an opportunity to potentially get that one missing piece that could help them compete. As much as we would like to all form our teams through the draft, that is not always possible. A team may literally be one player away and they are lucky enough to have that guy get created. This could be the difference between a team wallowing in the middle of the pack and competing for a playoff spot.

My suggestion is to drop down to only 2 or 3 players created. This should make it to where a stud is not created every year.
    but if this is a random process as the admins say whats to say that 1 of 3 isnt going to be a star. I havent looked closely at the PSFAs over the few seasons weve had it but I can only remember a couple sure fire HOFer. I know in AAA i got one but there are a lot of factors that go into getting that player, you have to have cap room, if not you need to cut players adding to the FA pool, you need to be lucky enough to get through the bidding process. But it would be interesting to see the data on PSFAs since we started. But with my current work load ut wont be me collecting the data.
    PGML Cuban's Sharks
    KBL Buntsville Squeeze
    BD Philly Whiz Kids
    Brockmire League- Philadelphia Stars

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat1018 View Post
    but if this is a random process as the admins say whats to say that 1 of 3 isnt going to be a star. I havent looked closely at the PSFAs over the few seasons weve had it but I can only remember a couple sure fire HOFer. I know in AAA i got one but there are a lot of factors that go into getting that player, you have to have cap room, if not you need to cut players adding to the FA pool, you need to be lucky enough to get through the bidding process. But it would be interesting to see the data on PSFAs since we started. But with my current work load ut wont be me collecting the data.
    You absolutely could have a star created. But, instead of their being one every year, one only may come every 3 years.

For some data:

2098-2 All Star caliber 2B (one could be HOF with 99 RA) and one AS pitcher
    2097-one serviceable bullpen arm
    2096-2 AS OF's and a starting caliber C
    2095-High BA 3B, possible #4/5 starter (unremarkable in the pen so far), 80ish DI/SL OF, and a borderline AS 3B
    2094-HOF caliber (no defense) SS
    2093-Good power/defense 1B, enigma SP (mid 3 ERA for the Yanks, but terrible for two other teams and is now a FA); good power decent RA 2B; AS caliber SP

So from six seasons, we have a couple possible HOF, probably around 8 all star caliber players (including the 2 HOF) and a total of around 14 players who would at least start on basically any team.
    Current
    MLB Remake-D. Tigers-1976-2059 and 2088- WS:2-1
    MLB Classic-Det Tigers-1993-2076 and 2125- WS:3-3
    Justice-W.M. Whitecaps 2093- WS:1-0
    League of Legends-T.C. Walking Dead 2077- WS:0-2
    League of Champions-M. Marlins 2066- WS:3-0
    Brockmire League-Det Wolverines 1981- WS:2-0
    Past

Coors Field-Dodgers WS:7-2
    MLB Remake AAA WS:0-1
    MLB Remake AA WS:2-0
    Justice-C.B. Bonds 2042-2058 WS:1-1
    PGML-Musk. Clippers 2033-2037 WS:0-1
    Tilted Tables-Pilots 1991- WS:2-6

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboardtube View Post
    I'd turn them off for at least MLB. Maybe you could leave 3 on for AAA and 6 on for AA just to get new owners experience in scouting through FA and bidding that way.

At the MLB level though owners should be comfortable enough drafting and trading that injecting extra talent into the league isn't necessary. It blows up salaries and depresses trading because you can just wait for a flip and try to acquire talent without having to give up much of anything. Terrible teams already get great draft picks--more than enough to rebuild over a few years--no need to give them extra 1st rounders to further increase the advantage in rebuilding with a bad team.
    I like this idea.

Having no psfa in MLB would be great. The addition of new players at the beginning of each season, a small number of whom can be considered HOF talent, feels gimmicky. The addition of these players also slightly decreases the value of draft picks and current crop of players, which imho is a step in the wrong direction.

I'm happy with the current system. But then I would say that because my team is bad, but not bad enough to get any really great draft pick, and I have cap space.

How about dropping to 2 or 3 created a year for 6-8 seasons and then looking at the players that were created during that time? If we are still seeing too many stud players created then we can revisit it. But, if we get to the point where we are only getting one stud every 3 or 4 years then I do not think it would be a bad thing.

One thing I do agree on is that we need to phase out the 6 created players. It is too many IMO.

In general, I like the psfa as is. My take is similar to wellesley's, though my sea dogs aren't so bad...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast