Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Goodbye again, Penny Pinchers. (a sad, but hopeful, love letter)

Re: Goodbye again, Penny Pinchers. (a sad, but hopeful, love letter)

It seems to me that the Penny Pincher league started to struggle when the new descending free agent salaries that start early mid season.
    It makes sense in a normal league with hodgepodge leftovers free agent market however with a the very top heavy free agent market in our league it forced owners to be continually rebuilding their team throughout the season.
    While some owners (players) have time for this , some don’t. And It was a lot of work for one league as a player if the player had multiple teams.

Eliminating the LM’s (which is a great idea) doesn’t in my mind address the hard cap issue with Penny Pinchers which is the declining free agent salaries. (This has been mentioned to me by Trackstah07 and Carlflylike1 as well).

Some ways to address this would be limiting the FA signing (ie specific time frame, minimum bid price, limited moves per year, etc.).

As the rules stood Penny Pinchers was a top tier league for most of its limited run. I believe addressing the FA market would bring back the challenge of small hard caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldeephus View Post
    Eliminating the LM’s (which is a great idea) doesn’t in my mind address the hard cap issue with Penny Pinchers which is the declining free agent salaries. (This has been mentioned to me by Trackstah07 and Carlflylike1 as well).

Some ways to address this would be limiting the FA signing (ie specific time frame, minimum bid price, limited moves per year, etc.).
    Limiting FA to eliminate that meta-game- while maintaining a degree of choice and flexibility- would get me to ensthusiastically re-enter the league (right now I’m on the fence- loved Bentonville and the Boston rivalry, but that flaw in the league’s infrastructure increased workload and decreased competition, akin to the pre- salary floor “F5ing the hire list” era of Cycling Simulator lol).
    Arizona Wildcats (CWS) (47-) 50.51.59.62.63.69.71.73.78
    Arlington Asymptotes (Spellcheck) (81-) 86.87.88.89.90.91.94.95
    Charleston Chew (NABF) (03-11, 18-35) 26.29.30.32.34
    Tilted Towers (GOAT 3) (01-)

Goodbye again, Penny Pinchers. (a sad, but hopeful, love letter)

So let’s propose the ‘JohnLegend inspired Reboot Rules’ to get this puppy started...

All rebooted teams must have a starting Active roster lower than 35 Million Active roster, with 0 in LM and AAA.
    Once a team is acquired all other position players/pitchers must be released once player owned.
    All rebooted teams must have a max of 3 players making less then 300k and may be reassigned free agents by the commish as requested while paused (first come first served).
    A very short and slow preseason will be allowed at the sim rate of 2/day and Private messages will be sent at a predetermined time/date.

Rules update.

No team shall be allowed to sign a Free Agent after 4/1 unless including a player added +250,000k increase on starting bids. FA’s signed for less will be auto cut.

The week of 7/15 until 7/22 is FREE AGENT FRENZY WEEK and the required FA Increase is off this week only.... good luck. And PM’s will be sent on game 7/1....

After 7/22 only on FA may be signed at the bargain basement add on of +500,000k.

After the reboot year (94) teams are allowed to have up to 5 million in low Minors ONLY. AAA is to only be used for auto allocation of FA signings (24 hours before auto commish cuts).

That would help this league by...

Requiring an increase on all FA signings will offset the descending FA payroll requests and level the playing field vs player activity yet still allow sniping for very active players.

Obviously this can be updated but I believe this is a fair IMO starting point to get PP up and running and back to Top Tier.

And please throw some feedback in. I just really came back for this league and want to kick Boston’s ***.

God I hate Boston.

Last edited by oldeephus; February 17, 2018 at 11:59 PM.

I'm not sure adding more rules will make it more enjoyable, especially the FA rules. Having a lot of constraints usually pushes people away from leagues because they find they dont have the time to dedicate to such a system. I do like the free agent frenzy week idea though. I would like to see a Minimum spending cap though so teams dont tank and increase competitive balance.

I think (for me) what made this league cool, is that you could develop a strategy going in of what to spend your $$$ on and it was funny making choices throughout the season of whom to cut and pick up. The FA constraints will take away that (outside the FA frenzy wk) and I feel take a little luster our of that final month of the season when you are racing to make final decisions and see if you can afford that 5 million dollar FA to put you over the top

Remember one thing Cy, the original league failed. So anything you did originally did not work. I just presented Ilasdad with an idea. 35mil total. no LM no AAA. Everyone has 25 man rosters only totally 35mil or less. Just was a creative thought. We just sold an idea with the resurrection of CF and totally filled the league in 72 hours and have a larger waiting list to get in. Sometimes different works.

Quote Originally Posted by CyMaddux31 View Post
    I'm not sure adding more rules will make it more enjoyable, especially the FA rules. Having a lot of constraints usually pushes people away from leagues because they find they dont have the time to dedicate to such a system. I do like the free agent frenzy week idea though. I would like to see a Minimum spending cap though so teams dont tank and increase competitive balance.

I think (for me) what made this league cool, is that you could develop a strategy going in of what to spend your $$$ on and it was funny making choices throughout the season of whom to cut and pick up. The FA constraints will take away that (outside the FA frenzy wk) and I feel take a little luster our of that final month of the season when you are racing to make final decisions and see if you can afford that 5 million dollar FA to put you over the top

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLegend View Post
    Remember one thing Cy, the original league failed. So anything you did originally did not work. I just presented Ilasdad with an idea. 35mil total. no LM no AAA. Everyone has 25 man rosters only totally 35mil or less. Just was a creative thought. We just sold an idea with the resurrection of CF and totally filled the league in 72 hours and have a larger waiting list to get in. Sometimes different works.
    Actually, I didn't "do" anything, it wasn't my league. After Ila left and Coreno and Sarcasmo bailed, I simply tried to rescue the league and recruit , I never developed any of the rules.

Oh I know I was in in the beginning. Wasn't blaming you. Just saying the league failed.

Actually, I didn't "do" anything, it wasn't my league. After Ila left and Coreno and Sarcasmo bailed, I simply tried to rescue the league and recruit , I never developed any of the rules.

So Ravennod has passed the torch on getting this puppy started so I have started a Reboot Rules for Penny Pinchers 2.0. Please feel free to put in some feedback or if you can’t wait to get a team please pm Oldeephus and make your choice!

do we have a start date and a complete list of rules ready to go?

do we have a start date and a complete list of rules ready to go?
    The potential updated rules have been posted, no feedback has been given, and it’s kinda hard to have a start date without enough players.

I’ll make a big push recruiting when I’m off holiday. Sorry for the delay in the response Cy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234