Thread: After the flip....

After the flip....

Is this what we expected to happen to team payrolls with the new update? Seems like most (all?) teams will either need to cut a bunch of valuable players, or go without scouting/development. My payroll went from $67M to $86M - something seems off. It seems strange that after the league existing just two seasons, owners would have to decide whether to gut their rosters (which they are likely just getting settled), stop growing their prospects, not be able to "scout" other teams or draftees, or some combination of all of these. Why were the original rosters structured the way they were if within two seasons the payrolls of basically the entire league would be 20%-40% over the cap?

I am very new to CSFBL, so it would not be surprising if I am missing something (or many things).

Any thoughts from the Mentors?
    Last edited by Gbears877; August 13, 2017 at 12:47 AM.

What the Heck !!! I made several late season transactions to get my salaries down to about 61 million, 4 million under the cap and then BANG, my total payroll suddenly explodes to 78 million - an increase of more than 25 percent. And this happened to everyone in the league. Extremely unrealistic.

Re: After the flip....

Front Office Allocations are luxuries. While I do think salaries are high, I think people should have to start making decisions on people that they are hording on their benches. Only a couple teams have less than 15 million in their minors system and the average is around 20-25 mil (the defending champs have 30 million, that's half the salary cap). Having 1/4th to 1/3rd of the salary cap in development means making the hard decisions. A lot of teams have top salary guys riding the bench or playing less than 50 games after this CBA so it's time to make decisions on those guys.

Most of the league is in the same spot so I think it's part of the learning curve. How much can you hold onto? Which front office allocations need to be prioritized? Things like that. Yeah, it sucks to cut guys for salary cap reasons but that's part of the game to keep it balanced.
    7-1 in World Series

College Baseball (1-0)
    Psi Sigma (3-0)
    Dream Power League (3-1)

Marsupial - the expensive benches and minor leagues are the result of the updated salary structure - not necessarily any sort of hoarding. For instance, I had a $67M payroll at the end of the last season. I had a plan for how to trim that payroll in such a way that I could keep the core of the team in place, promote a player or two from the minors to fill slots, and to get my player development/scouting set at reasonable levels. I hoped that this approach would continue to make my team competitive in the short and long term. This approach also planned to stay reasonably true to the $65M soft cap. I thought, perhaps naively, that this was how the game was structured to be played. Instead of being in position to go with my plan (which included prioritizing FOA allocations, cutting guys for salary cap purposes, etc - as you suggest), my payroll jumped to $86M. As a result - my choices are limited to 1) Do nothing, have a massive payroll, and no allocations. This hardly seems in the spirit of the game, 2) Cut 5-10 $2-4M players - while assuming the rest of the league will do the same. It is more likely some teams will choose Option 1. The resulting wide range of team salaries also seems to go against the spirit of the game.

My comments here reflect my confusion as to whether the game is structured such that a league entering its 3rd season is "supposed" to undergo this sort of upheaval. Hence my interest in the Mentors thoughts.

Thanks for engaging with me on this discussion.

I will say that this is definitely the worst flip of my leagues as all my other teams seemed to stick around the same salary cap but I also certainly hoarded some low minors guys in the first year.

I'm also interested in what the mentors think. I think the worst part is that even if everyone in the league goes with option B, there are going to be almost two full teams worth of good free agents that no one will be able to sign which is never fun.

Sent from my iPhone using CSFBL
    7-1 in World Series

College Baseball (1-0)
    Psi Sigma (3-0)
    Dream Power League (3-1)

Ok, so i hav seen several rosters before the flip, and always came away thinking, wow theses teams are stacked!

For those concerned about Front Office Allocations, here are some tips:
    -Any player in AAA with experience (not 0) will affect your FOA. For this reason, you should activate or cut them.
    -Any player on your active roster with 0 experience will affect your FOA, so if they cost more than a AAA guy, stash them in AAA until the lock at 4/1
    -dont promote expensive rookies from LM to the active roster until after 4/1
    -if you plan an promoting rookies or 0 experience guys, get a very low salary scrub to take their roster spot until 4/1

If you dont think you're gonna compete this year, trade away veterans to help your FOA. You need it to grow and scout your young guys. If you are competing, dont competely neglect the FOA, or your elite team will be short lived.

Always think twice about buying before 4/1, the person selling will probably be forced to sell low or cut the player if their foa and cap situation are bad.
    "I just think positive energy is dope" -Von Miller
    Faves: Jeter/Vlad/Junior/Sheff/Solarte
    2016: 3,437-3,070 (.528) ~ 4 WS
    2017: 4,153-3,477 (.544) ~ 3 WS

Sweet-Atlanta Braves(1878- )1886, 1888, 1891, 1892
    TML-Anaheim Angels(1959- )1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972
    CarL-Kingston Clownfish(2017- )2022, 2027
    LEG-Juan More Inning(2033- )
    BD-OC Juicy Fruit(2034- )2038
    WCB-Venezuela Carabobos(1925- )1925
    Spell-Expletive Flyers(1990- )
    DB-Sheffield Shakes(1950- )
    GOAT-Squirtle Squad(1994- )
    Other League's WS:1-1

In regards to "upheaval entering the 3rd season" it was not planned. The dev team and admins are in charge of the site-wide CBA, and it was rolled out about a week or so ago. It only takes effect when a league flips. Eventually every league will be under cba 2.1

The new cba was designed to make salaries more accurately resemble game value. Middle infield range and aces with high EN were extremely underpaid, and they make up the huge jumps in salary on your teams. It doesnt mean you should cut these guys, theyre still fantastic. Now theyre paid like it.

I would hope everyone makes cuts (to their bench and bullpen most likely) and adjusts to the new cba. A prospect/mentor league is the best place to explore new strategies. The entire site is discussing the cba and making adjustments on the fly.
    "I just think positive energy is dope" -Von Miller
    Faves: Jeter/Vlad/Junior/Sheff/Solarte
    2016: 3,437-3,070 (.528) ~ 4 WS
    2017: 4,153-3,477 (.544) ~ 3 WS

Sweet-Atlanta Braves(1878- )1886, 1888, 1891, 1892
    TML-Anaheim Angels(1959- )1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1972
    CarL-Kingston Clownfish(2017- )2022, 2027
    LEG-Juan More Inning(2033- )
    BD-OC Juicy Fruit(2034- )2038
    WCB-Venezuela Carabobos(1925- )1925
    Spell-Expletive Flyers(1990- )
    DB-Sheffield Shakes(1950- )