Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronicles of the Night's Watch - 1991

Chronicles of the Night's Watch - 1991

“Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.”
    Joke? In't he that dude, disguised as a dude, playin' that other dude, bruh?

"Swerve. That dude is totally turnt."

"Right?!?! He's crunk, Bruh!

Re: Chronicles of the Night's Watch - 1991

The team started out 8-0

And has picked up steam, especially with offense.

Now stands at 18-5. The best in the league.

We have averaged 7 runs per game.

We average an 84 RA around the diamond.

The Big Three are 14-2 with a 2.93 ERA.

Winter is coming.

And we stand ready at the wall.

The team has now improved to 23-5. We are on another 8 game winning streak.

Our catcher, Reinhard, has thrown out 8 of 10 would-be base stealers.

Those base runners that elect to stay at first, have been getting erased by double plays.

We ARE he Watchers on the Wall.

Other good teams just don't let people on base. Seems easier

Season 1 in Review:

An excellent start.

Teamwise, we finished #1 in pitching and #2 in offense (using ERA and runs scored as the measure)

We had 5 All-stars:
    SP Hooker
    C Reinhard
    2B Stringfellow
    SS Henry
    3B Lockwood

Breaking things down by Team Offense and Team Pitching:

Offense:
    #2 in runs scored
    #1 in run differential
    #3 in batting average
    #4 in OBP
    #4 in SLG%
    #4 in OPS
    #3 in LWTS
    #2 in xRAA

Pitching:
    Lowest ERA
    Lowest WHIP
    Lowest OOBP
    Lowest OSLG%
    Lowest inherited runners allowed to score
    #2 in Quality Starts
    #2 in Saves
    Lowest SB allowed
    Highest percentage of base stealers caught stealing

I expected the team to perform well on the pitching and defensive side of the game. Finishing #1 league-wise is not a surprise there. What was a surprise was how well the offense performed. I have crunched the internal numbers and have a pretty reliable explanation as to why we did so well offensively--although due to competitive advantages in an ongoing game scenario, I shall not elaborate on that here and now.

I know that this will piss off some other owners in the league but, as dominant as the Night's Watch was in 1991, we could have dominated more.

After 32 games we were 26-6, twenty games over .500. At that point, I decided to pull our starting 1B, who is a 99 DI guy, with 86 RA. He was on pace to walk 145 times (OBP of .421). He sat for the rest of the season in order to preserve his 0 exp status.

We also pulled our primary closer to preserve his 0 exp status.

Quote Originally Posted by andujar View Post
    Other good teams just don't let people on base. Seems easier
    Lowest opponent's obp in the league. It's even better when--after they finally sneak a way on base--you throw them out anyway.

After one round of the play-offs, the GOAT 2 score for the Night's Watch is 295. Only 10 of those points came from individual achievements (Roman struck out 16 in one game)

Target Areas for Improvement:

Blown Saves (we blew 9 saves, and never really had a stellar closer at any time during the season, despite having engaged the setting "Always Use Closer."

Improve 3B defensively. 55 RA at 3B was the mediocre defensive number on the diamond. In the draft, we selected a solid SS, with 85 RA (Tharp). He could be converted to a 92 RA 2B, but will likely stay at SS for the remaining 9 seasons. Promoting Tharp (and he will be ready after one flip) will allow us to move 30 year-old Charles Henry (88 RA at SS) to 3B. Gauging Henry's internals, he should maintain his 88 RA at SS in the next flip (and even the flip after that). That would make him an 84 RA 3B. He is already an all-star SS, and that would not change over the next 3-4 seasons. Most likely, I will alternate Tharp and Henry between SS and 3B, so that neither of them lose SS eligibility. Either way 3B RA will go from 55 to 80+ next season. We will likely be 81 88 89 86 around the infield.

Improve 5th starter slot. My 5th starter was the guy that I originally drafted to be the closer, Joe May. He was 3/3 in save conversions, when I moved him to the 5th starter spot. From April 11th to the end of the season, he pitched at the end of the rotation . He went 15-11, with a 4.24 ERA. He is much better suited to be a closer, and he will move back to closer next season, with the arrival of #1 pick Thomas Goldman in the rotation. Goldman, however, is a future ace. He is no #5. He will likely break into the rotation as the #4 starter, pushing Clifford Norris (22-8, 4.00 ERA) from #4 to #5. Norris is due to lose some FI at this point in his career. He has started to lose PO, but has maintained full FI , CO, an SY for all 10 seasons of his existence in this league. We expect that Goldman's numbers in the big 4 next season will be: 88 29 83 74.
    Last edited by JokeLine; May 11, 2017 at 11:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast