Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: 2017 Season Discussion

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4,001

    Re: 2017 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    Congrats to Cleveland!

    Another disappointing ending to the season in Phoenix. Changes will need to be made. But we're starting to have our concerns about the course of the league as last season was the 1st time in nearly 20 seasons that we basically couldn't trade our draft picks.
    Your team is always good and the league is tired of handing you great players.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: 2017 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by stampy19 View Post
    Your team is always good and the league is tired of handing you great players.
    If it's really so bad that Phoenix is always competitive, I can leave.

    But my point is that the league was started and designed to make the lower salary teams have the tough decisions on keeping the 27-30 yr olds that are in their prime and starting to make a lot of money, or trading them to acquire picks and younger players. If that aspect of the league goes away with all the lower cap teams getting bumps, then that diminishes the trade market drastically. At that point then this league becomes just another league and loses its uniqueness.
    TDD - RBNA (2076,79)
    MLB Throwback - Hartford(1950)
    , Pittsburgh(1972,85,99,2000,02)
    YOG - Houston(2016-17), Hawaii(2032,47,48,50,51,63,66,70)
    ReMake AA - Connecticut(2044), Springfield(2059)
    XB - Malibu(2003), Greendale(2013,24,26,46)
    CarL - Jamaica (1991,2009,11,20,25)
    LEG - Rue Morgue(2006)
    Showdown - Houston (2018,19)
    BD - Arlington Park (2011,16,21)
    FOB - Colorado (2058,71,75-77)
    Tilted Tables - Phoenix (1991,2000,06,08,13-14)

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    If it's really so bad that Phoenix is always competitive, I can leave.

    But my point is that the league was started and designed to make the lower salary teams have the tough decisions on keeping the 27-30 yr olds that are in their prime and starting to make a lot of money, or trading them to acquire picks and younger players. If that aspect of the league goes away with all the lower cap teams getting bumps, then that diminishes the trade market drastically. At that point then this league becomes just another league and loses its uniqueness.
    Agreed.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4,001

    Re: 2017 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    If it's really so bad that Phoenix is always competitive, I can leave.

    But my point is that the league was started and designed to make the lower salary teams have the tough decisions on keeping the 27-30 yr olds that are in their prime and starting to make a lot of money, or trading them to acquire picks and younger players. If that aspect of the league goes away with all the lower cap teams getting bumps, then that diminishes the trade market drastically. At that point then this league becomes just another league and loses its uniqueness.
    No one is asking you to leave. Not sure why you took it that way.

    This league is a first-of-its-kind. With that, comes tweaks here and there. The Have's and Have-Not's are getting to the point where it hasn't been as competitive and that can be an issue. Personally, I love the challenge of a lower payroll. Realistically, 75M (with experienced owners) vs 45M (with less experienced) can be a turn-off for some.

    My interpretation of the league is for experienced owners to take low payrolls for a challenge and new-to-CSFBL owners to get the high payrolls so they could learn from experienced players AND be competitive. But that's just my outlook. It isn't a mandate.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,094

    Re: 2017 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    If it's really so bad that Phoenix is always competitive, I can leave.

    But my point is that the league was started and designed to make the lower salary teams have the tough decisions on keeping the 27-30 yr olds that are in their prime and starting to make a lot of money, or trading them to acquire picks and younger players. If that aspect of the league goes away with all the lower cap teams getting bumps, then that diminishes the trade market drastically. At that point then this league becomes just another league and loses its uniqueness.
    Couple points balmers.

    Somewhat truthfully, but somewhat jokingly, I was usually the recipient of a large number of those picks. Not all, but a lot of them. Last season was one in a few where I had actually managed to get ahead of the salary crunch in Miami.

    We are certainly in a bit of a transition with a new salary model being brought in. Will it close the gap? That certainly wasn't the intention of it, and I want everyone to know that. This league was meant to have bigger payrolls and smaller payrolls. I will continue to monitor the situation. I also welcome all feedback from all owners, because as much as I kind of started it, I'd like to think of it as a community of owners in what I believe is the most unique league CSFBL has.
    "You guys...you lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Lollygaggers!"

    "We will scheme, connive, steal, do everything possible to win the pennant, except pay big salaries"

  6. #16

    Re: 2017 Season Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by balmers View Post
    Congrats to Cleveland!

    Another disappointing ending to the season in Phoenix. Changes will need to be made. But we're starting to have our concerns about the course of the league as last season was the 1st time in nearly 20 seasons that we basically couldn't trade our draft picks.
    I think some of us got giddy with actual spare change for once, it'll probably ebb back in a year or 2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •