Thread: 1970 Draft Recap

1970 Draft Recap

A little late but here is this years draft recap. Like last year we only have a 5/10 in scouting.

Rating - My rating system technically goes from 0 to 100 though most players are between 40 and 70. A player with a rating of 65 can expect to compete for a Cy Young or MVP award. A player with a rating of 55 may make an all-star game or two. For your reference Billy Murray was an 81 in his prime.

Player Score Guide

65+ Cy Young/MVP
    55+ All Star
    45+ Starter
    40+ Bench

*Note - Ratings this year are based on 5/10 scouting

Projected Pick is where I had the player projected to go.
    Player Score is the player's rating according to my system.
    Expected Score is the player's rating I had projected to go at that pick.

Steals of the 1970 Draft

Pick Player Pos Team Projected Pick Player Score Expected Score Difference
    31 Anthony Huffman 2B Greenburg 13 56.0 47.1 8.9
    17 William Morris P Indianapolis 5 61.1 54.3 6.8
    4 Dale Hernandez SS Upland 1 68.6 63.1 5.5
    28 Roderick Perez P Las Vegas 19 53.9 48.6 5.2
    26 Douglas Peterson P Iowa 17 54.3 49.7 4.6

Reaches of the 1970 Draft

Pick Player Pos Team Projected Pick Player Score Expected Score Difference
    12 Israel Welsh CF Greenburg 42 43.5 56.0 -12.5
    3 James Hill P Toronto 16 54.6 64.1 -9.5
    21 George Robinson 1B Jacksonville 38 45.2 52.6 -7.4
    40 Robert Campbell 1B Las Vegas 53 38.3 44.0 -5.6
    20 Fred Ramsey P Casa Grande 30 47.8 53.4 -5.6
    Last edited by anyates; April 18, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Sandlot - Minnesota Lakers - 1946 to present (1946, 1950, 1971)
    Spring Training - Minnesota North Stars - 2067 to present (2080, 2081, 2084)
    College World Series - Minnesota Gophers - 1965 to present (none)
    Tilted Table - St. Paul Saints - 2004 to present (2011)
    Relegation League - Armstrong RiverHawks - 1992 to present (League: none Playoff: none Doubles: none)

Re: 1970 Draft Recap

thanks anyates, i love your recaps!
    Sandlot - Nashville Bootleggers - 1948 to present (1954, 1957, 1959, 1961, 1964, 1966, 1970)
    Simusports - Nashville Troubadours - 2051 to 2062 (2057, 2058, 2059, 2060, 2062) - Retired
    Cooperstown's Finest - Nashville Troubadours - 2008-2009 (2009) - Retired

Thanks Anaytes, though I think that 5/10 may have caused some issues
    Sandlot - Jacksonville Storm - (1948 - Current) - WS 1967, 1968

Thanks Anyates! I am practically giddy to finally make the steal list... even with the reach I'm happy

Always one of the most interesting reads on the boards. Thanks.

Thanks Anyates! Short of seeing the players after the list drops, this is my favorite part of the draft.

That being said... . Just curious why Hernandez is #1 overall. Newman has him beat all around besides position and a couple points in DI and SL - and Hernandez has terrible RN for a SS which negates the position benefit. Hernandez and Newman will both end up at 1B in the end and Newman's EN will keep him in the lineup more.

I know it's just opinion but wanted to see why you valued Hernandez over Newman or another player?

Didn't you say you undervalued catchers in a previous post? I'm curious where Newman would be ranked if he was a 1B? Newman has me as excited about a position player since Jamaal Gonzalez - my HOF DH.. and I think Newman is better.

Quote Originally Posted by thedesch View Post
    Thanks Anyates! Short of seeing the players after the list drops, this is my favorite part of the draft.

That being said... . Just curious why Hernandez is #1 overall. Newman has him beat all around besides position and a couple points in DI and SL - and Hernandez has terrible RN for a SS which negates the position benefit. Hernandez and Newman will both end up at 1B in the end and Newman's EN will keep him in the lineup more.

I know it's just opinion but wanted to see why you valued Hernandez over Newman or another player?

Didn't you say you undervalued catchers in a previous post? I'm curious where Newman would be ranked if he was a 1B? Newman has me as excited about a position player since Jamaal Gonzalez - my HOF DH.. and I think Newman is better.
    I tend to undervalue catchers because I basically convert everybody to a 3B. But for catcher most owners are looking more at AR than RA or GL. I don't think Hernandez was hurt too much by being a Catcher because his value doesn't come from his AR rating.

I valued Newman because I see he has a 100 SL potential versus 95 for Newman. Since I'm assuming exponential growth the difference between 100 and 95 is significant. If Hernandez doesn't end up with 100 SL that evens the two players out a lot. I also don't think BA grows exponentially as fast as DI or SL. So I actually give Hernandez a bigger advantage for his 6 points in DI than Newman gets for his 7 point advantage in BA.

I also add little value to CN and zero value for EN. I figure even with the lowest EN they shouldn't miss any playoff games.

I honestly don't follow my own ratings 100% and can see why you picked Newman and would have struggled to pass up on a player with 95 BA/95 SL. In the end you got a great player who I'm sure will spend the next decade proving me wrong. I just wish he would prove me wrong from another division.
    Sandlot - Minnesota Lakers - 1946 to present (1946, 1950, 1971)
    Spring Training - Minnesota North Stars - 2067 to present (2080, 2081, 2084)
    College World Series - Minnesota Gophers - 1965 to present (none)
    Tilted Table - St. Paul Saints - 2004 to present (2011)
    Relegation League - Armstrong RiverHawks - 1992 to present (League: none Playoff: none Doubles: none)

Quote Originally Posted by anyates View Post
    I tend to undervalue catchers because I basically convert everybody to a 3B. But for catcher most owners are looking more at AR than RA or GL. I don't think Hernandez was hurt too much by being a Catcher because his value doesn't come from his AR rating.

I valued Newman because I see he has a 100 SL potential versus 95 for Newman. Since I'm assuming exponential growth the difference between 100 and 95 is significant. If Hernandez doesn't end up with 100 SL that evens the two players out a lot. I also don't think BA grows exponentially as fast as DI or SL. So I actually give Hernandez a bigger advantage for his 6 points in DI than Newman gets for his 7 point advantage in BA.

I also add little value to CN and zero value for EN. I figure even with the lowest EN they shouldn't miss any playoff games.

I honestly don't follow my own ratings 100% and can see why you picked Newman and would have struggled to pass up on a player with 95 BA/95 SL. In the end you got a great player who I'm sure will spend the next decade proving me wrong. I just wish he would prove me wrong from another division.
    Hernandez is a shortstop.. at least for now and his AR is 84 potential... unless you meant Newman? I think you might have gotten the players switched up in your first few sentences.

I think I see where we differed. Newman actually has 96 BA and 98 SL with full scouting so he's slightly closer to Hernandez in SL than you might have seen with 1/2 scouting. Where I value EN is seasonal fatigue and not missed games. Maybe I watch that too closely but when someone has 20% SeaFat I feel I've lost a ton of those elite ratings that player has come playoff time.

I'll put in my 2 cents. Hernandez is not playing at short. He's going to be my DH. Great hit, horrible defense, low en. Says DH to me. I have middle infielders coming out of my ears, so I didn't need him to be in the field. That's why I picked him.

RJ
    You are only an obstacle in my quest for world domination.
    -me

These awesome recaps we've gotten the past few years...it would be interesting to see this year with the 2nd round being "not live" if there were bigger hits/misses this year as opposed to live 2nd round drafts. Logically you wouldn't think it would make a difference, but I do wonder.