Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 ACL News and Notes

2011 ACL News and Notes

Playoff Battle: All of the teams that are in 1st place in the division hold comfortable leads coming down the home stretch. Houston holds a commanding 21 game lead in Todd Helton. Washington is up 12.5 in Troy Tulowitzki. Greensboro is up 10.5 in Hank Aaron. Albany is in control with a 19 game lead in Ty Cobb. After the leaders is where it gets a little more hairy.
    Todd Helton: The Mets are in 2nd behind the Astros and lead the Dodgers by a game and a half, despite having a -11 run differential this season. Should be interesting to see if the Dodgers new owner Bootny.Lee can push his team past New York for a playoff berth.
    Troy Tulowitzki: After Washington, the Phillies have a 5 game lead on the Expos. This looks to be the weakest division as Philadelphia is the only other team with a positive run differential. I'm still scratching my head over the Cubs. They looked to be perennial contenders after the WS season 3 years ago.
    Hank Aaron: Asheville, West Va., and Kannapolis are all within 4.5 games of each other for the playoff berth in Hank Aaron. Pretty good teams in a pretty good division there.
    Ty Cobb: Columbia looks to have the 2nd spot locked up and will get the unenviable task of playing the juggernaut that is Albany in the 1st round.

Notable seasons:
    Asheville's Dan Wydra is having a really nice season as he is the only pitcher with an ERA under 2.00.
    Oakland's Howard Wallace is having a mammoth season. He won't catch the single season HR record (currently 10 behind Kannapolis' Westleigh), but he's only 2 rbi's behind Westleigh and is maintaining a .735 to .725 lead over the all time SLG% leader.
    Albany's THREE HEADED MONSTER is as close as it comes to guaranteeing a World Series victory. Hill has a 3.01 ERA with 25 wins, Radtke has a 3.16 with 25 wins, and Bailey has a 2.16 with 23 wins. Daunting task for the rest of the LEAGUE.

If the top seeds win the 1st round of the playoffs, the 2nd round should be one of the best we've had in a while. Pitting super teams vs. super teams.

Prediction: RJ Harrison and Houston vs. Albany and OC. Masterful jobs by both of these managers.
    ACL - Washington Nationals
    Red Sox Nation - Durham Bulls
    Spring Training - Manchester United
    Baseball Dynasty - West KY Muggy
    MLB Classic - Chicago White Sox
    MLB Throwback - Philadelphia Athletics

Re: 2011 ACL News and Notes

Thanks for a brilliant post, Sharpe. Posts like this and owners like these are why ACL is by far my favorite league, whether my team is winning 110 games or out of the playoff picture, it doesn't matter.

To stay humble, Albany's Big 3 need only look back as far as the first round of the playoffs 2 seasons ago, when Columbia averaged about 100 runs per game in a first round triumph over the Polecats and their #1 pitching in 6 games. This year, Albany's pitching ranks only #3 behind Houston and Greensboro, who are putting up ridiculous numbers as a staff. If we manage to win the title this year, it may be more because our offense is much better than in recent seasons.

Well, TC, now that Columbia has brushed Albany aside like a fly, keep it going and keep the trophy in the Ty Cobb! Well done...I expected a tough series, but us scoring a total of 5 runs in 4 games in not a good formula to be competitive in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by orangecat13748 View Post
    Well, TC, now that Columbia has brushed Albany aside like a fly, keep it going and keep the trophy in the Ty Cobb! Well done...I expected a tough series, but us scoring a total of 5 runs in 4 games in not a good formula to be competitive in the playoffs.
    Sorry OC. I'd say I can't believe that Columbia put down three straight CY contenders (4 in a row), but I've grown to expect thing of that nature in the playoffs. You obviously had the best team in the league this season and it's a travesty to no at least play for the title. On a side note, my division winning Nats will probably be downed by the upstart Phillies. Not as crazy as Albany being swept in the 1st round, but definitely a related story. Houston is looking promising in their divisional round, and Greensboro and Asheville are knotted at 2-2. Good luck all contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by orangecat13748 View Post
    Columbia's secret was our SP's throwing 35 of the 36 innings in the series and keeping the ball out of the hands of our bullpen. During the regular season we had two 19 game winners and a 20 game winner so I expected pitchers duels throughout the series. We'll breathe a sigh of relief and rest up for the next round.

I was really surprised by the Polecats going down like that but I am glad I won't have to face them.

Should be interesting.

RJ
    You are only an obstacle in my quest for world domination.
    -me

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe Dispensers View Post
    If the top seeds win the 1st round of the playoffs, the 2nd round should be one of the best we've had in a while. Pitting super teams vs. super teams.
    The Astros turned out to be the only top seed to survive the first round, which makes them the clear favorite....or the clear underdog, not sure which.

We are just riding the wave, hopefully all the way to the championship.

RJ
    -me

I want to thank Ashville for a great Series.

I'm really proud of my pitching staff. In the WS, total runs given up were 5. The wins were 4 shutouts and 1 run given up in the fifth game.

Marc Gandy is definitely the playoff MVP. He went 4-0, 3 CG and 1 shutout. ERA 1.80.

RJ
    -me

Congrats RJ. You've done a splendid job putting the Astros together. I thought Asheville had it up 3-2 coming home. Great road pitching!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast