Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldest player

Re: Oldest player

This Guy in Carl is coming back for his 24th year at age 44. wondering what the highest career earnings are he might be close @ $140.8 Million
    Savage Mode: OFF [ON]
    Commish for Historical Replay, Mentor for Remake-AA

Quote Originally Posted by doaf_unltd View Post
    CSFBL saves leader Leonard McClung made it to 49.

I had a 45 year old on a newly created team once, other than that my highest is 42 or 43.
    I appreciate any Leonard McClung mentions.

McClung hanging on was weird enough that I had a dev at the time (dtrickett) look into it. he didnt find anything, McCLung just kept winning the retirement algorithm
    -Parce que j'ai le jeu, mes chiennes.
    -Translation; 'cause I got game bitches!

Join the Remake Leagues! No Experience Necessary.

Simple Rules:

1. Stop recruiting new owners for your half dead crappy leagues. Your efforts would be better used looking for a stable league with owners who actually care about their teams. Winning the world series in a half unowned league is not worthy of your time.

2. If you are trading an elite item like a no1 overall pick or a superstud player, then dont take the first offer you get. Advertise your availability to the league to maximize your return. Your trade partner is not going to protect you from underselling yourself.

3. Quoted from a thread about Monopoly gameplay: "This strategy will end up killing you in the long run. You WANT to make deals. You WANT to be easy to do business with. If players get the impression that you're always going to ask for unreasonable demands, they'll trade with other players, leaving you out of those trades, meaning you get nothing of value while they benefit. Remember, your goal in a trade should not be to screw your trading partner, but to screw anyone who isn't your trading partner. Then people will catch on and realize that if they're not going to give you fair rates, they're going to be left out in the cold, which means that you shouldn't be dealing with people who play that way either."

Had a pitcher recently make it through age 43 season. He was around 35 when I took over the team, and I hoped he could carry the staff for 3 years. But, he kept on going. He was very effective through age 41-season. A little weaker in age-42-season, but still was 3rd SP type value. And I knew he was sooner or later going to crash. But, he was near 5000 IP, and within spitting distance also of being #2 in league history in QS (and was or near being Top 5 in just about every pitching category, seemingly). Pretty much fell apart after his first 5 starts at age 43, got relegated to the bullpen for most of the 2nd half. (made 8 of his career 11 relief appearances then). On the last day of the season, with nothing to play for, he squeak a QS out to end I think 1 short of the #2 in league history (100+ year league).

He was actually ready to make a go of it at age 44. But, I knew I had to cut him in the spring.

In another league, I have a 38-year old pitcher, with multiple (4, I think) CYAs in his career. No longer that good, but he is still very dominant. Anxious to see how long he goes. (he is the team's entire most Ks in a season list, for what it is worth).

I have 43 year old center fielder Phyl Simpson. He was a re-name when I won Earth Baseball's championship. A friend of mine, Mary Phyl Simpson, died earlier that year in the Colorado River when the raft she was in flipped and she died of hypothermia before her husband could get her out as she was trapped. It was a sad moment in our lives and I decided that this was the way to pay to homage her. He'll be in the Hall when he retires with 16 all-star and 9 silver sluggers. I'm not going to release him ever, and he is still productive so he's still in the lineup.
    Peace. (Psalm 29:11)

Darrel
    Oklahoma

Phyl Simpson retired at 43 years old. I was hoping he'd hang on one more year as he had 3.945 hits and his OPS was .835 for the year.
    Peace. (Psalm 29:11)

Darrel
    Oklahoma

Brian Sutton played until age 52 and set what I still believe is a CSFBL record of 1,201 home runs. However, he retired more than 14 calendar years ago and played the vast majority of his career pre normalization, so his age record looks as safe as the Cy Young wins record.
    Psi Phi: Williamsburg Tribe Power (Comm)
    Justice: Jefferson Airplanes ('22)
    TDD: Richmond Rebels (Comm) ('92, '99, '00, '34)
    Psi Sigma: Dillard Dictators (Comm) ('07, '49, '56)
    LCL: NY Lawn Mowers ('93)
    ANB: Edison Electricity ('23, "53)
    BBL: Philadelphia Federalists ('06, '29, '34, '38)
    Recycler: NOVA No Doze ('98, '00, '09, '19)
    VLR: Amritsar Destroyers ('98)
    EBB: Pennsylvania Powder Kegs ('36, '69)
    IBA: Lahaina Luau
    LOL: Fargo Frostbite
    CBF: Cradock Diablos ('59)

23/58 in World Series

Quote Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
    Phyl Simpson retired at 43 years old. I was hoping he'd hang on one more year as he had 3.945 hits and his OPS was .835 for the year.
    Kind of wish my guys would retire more often, no matter how bad a year they have, they still come back in the spring. I really didn't want to cut the guy I mentioned last, given what he had meant to the team for 2 decades.

Reynaldo Sanders just retired in the Caribbean League. he was 44 with 24 seasons. 385 W's 5,000 K's , Career 2.59 / 1.15 & 7 CYA's
    Savage Mode: OFF [ON]
    Commish for Historical Replay, Mentor for Remake-AA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12