Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Albany Times Union

The Albany Times Union

4/6/1985

Not a great start for the Shamrocks. Albany has started 0-4 and has been out scored 27-7. Of course, it is very early but even so, a slow start is a slow start.

Pro: Astor, Jake in his debut went eight innings, giving up six hits and no runs.
    Con: In the same game, the bullpen blew that strong outing in a L, 6-2 to Milwaukee.

Re: The Albany Times Union

5/23/1985

The offense continues to struggle in Albany. The team averages under three runs a game and currently sports a collective .245 batting average. Young star Shaw, Alastaire is struggling. The power is there - he is on pace for 40 homeruns - but everything else is below pre-season expectations with a .249 average and a .318 OBP.

Brundage, William was promoted to the majors thirty games into the season. He has only played 16 games but is hitting below expectations at .269.

The starting pitching continues to keep the Shamrocks in games. The starting rotation has a combined 3.12 ERA. Which is good until you remember that the offense is averaging under three runs a game!

Despite the offensive woes, Albany is 21-24 and only 2.5 games out of the wildcard spot.

07/11/1985

Things have turned around a bit in Albany. The Shamrocks have gone 14-3 in their last 17. Overall, Albany is 44-46, five games out from second place and the wild card spot.

Awards update: Jake Astor & Cyrus Carter rank second and fourth, respectively, in the Rookie of Year standings. Astor is 8-7 with a 2.90 ERA while Carter is 7-7 with a 3.41 ERA.

Player Profile: Jake Astor
    Birthday: 03/23/1964, Boston, Massachusetts
    Astor chose to forego his senior year at Harvard for an opportunity to pitch in the majors. Astor projects to be a part of the Shamrock starting rotation for years to come.
    Fun fact: Jake's great grandfather was John Jacob Astor, the American real estate mogul who died on the Titanic in 1912.

1986 Albany Shamrock season preview

After a disappointing 1985 (69-91; last in the division), Albany is hoping to rebound and contend. Here is a look at your 1986 Shamrocks:

C: Myers, Jesse, 23. Rookie; good DI/SL combination
    1B: Walsh, Killian, 23. Rookie; 1985's 1st pick overall
    2B: Fontenot, Lonny, 28. 90 RA with a career 7.20 RNG
    3B: Rice, San, 28. Albany's lead off man with a 97 BA rating
    SS: Porter, Richard, 33. Free agent acquisition; 89 RA with a career 7.90 RNG
    LF: Shaw, Alastaire, 23. Albany's best hitter in 1985 (.278, 32, 97); expecting huge 1986
    CF: Proctor, Henry, 22. Rookie; good DI/BA with above average range
    RF: Mann, Anthony, 22. Mann disappinted in a platoon role last year - expecting more from the RF
    DH: Brundage, William, 23. Disappointed in 1985 (.247 average, .678 OPS); expecting more this season

SP1: Carter, Cyrus, 22. 2.87 ERA last season
    SP2: Astor, Jake, 22. 3.76 ERA, 1.20 WHIP in 1985
    SP3: Zimmerman, Dwayne, 23. Good PO, CO, EN with decent FI
    SP4: Blair, Joe, 24. Started 1985 well but hit a wall mid season and ended with a 5.57 ERA; expecting more this year
    SP5: Robinson, Eric, 22. Rookie; good CO, SY, EN combo.

There are your starters heading into 1986. The team is young across the board but I think the team should contend. Check in throughout the season for updates!

The the youngest team I have seen

08/21/1986

Things have hit a snag in Albany. The Shamrocks have gone 16-28 in their last 44 which took them from nine games over . 500 to three games under. The offense continues to disappoint all around. In that same time frame, the team has averaged only 3.09 runs a game.

Shaw, Alastaire is hitting .261 with a .733 OPS. With only 18 homeruns, he is way below expectations.
    Brundage, William also continues to ride the struggle train. .232 with a .612 OPS. With a fully scouted 89 BA, I'm at loss as to why his hitting is so poor.

Astor, Jake (18-7, 3.00 ERA) has been a bright spot all season and is currently second in Cy Young voting.
    Carter, Cyrus (10-10, 2.49 ERA) is fifth in Cy Young voting. If only he could get some more run support, his win/loss numbers could look better.

Albany sits at 62-65 and will be missing the playoffs again. It's an improvement on last season but not quite what I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekUpSaratoga View Post
    08/21/1986

Things have hit a snag in Albany. The Shamrocks have gone 16-28 in their last 44 which took them from nine games over . 500 to three games under. The offense continues to disappoint all around. In that same time frame, the team has averaged only 3.09 runs a game.

Shaw, Alastaire is hitting .261 with a .733 OPS. With only 18 homeruns, he is way below expectations.
    Brundage, William also continues to ride the struggle train. .232 with a .612 OPS. With a fully scouted 89 BA, I'm at loss as to why his hitting is so poor.

Astor, Jake (18-7, 3.00 ERA) has been a bright spot all season and is currently second in Cy Young voting.
    Carter, Cyrus (10-10, 2.49 ERA) is fifth in Cy Young voting. If only he could get some more run support, his win/loss numbers could look better.

Albany sits at 62-65 and will be missing the playoffs again. It's an improvement on last season but not quite what I was hoping for.
    I don't have much for scouting but it seems that his CN is low.

You are correct. With full scouting I see 34 CN. However, should that really knock him back so much? .247 last year and .232 this season. I mean, I expect him to strike out a lot but he should also be hitting well above where he is. With that said, I am, admittedly, not great at projecting players so maybe I am off here.

CN doesn't make much difference. I mostly ignore it unless it's really high then I avoid it.

tbh it's probably his EN. He was hitting .353 in mid-april and then has been steadily downward since. Same pattern the year before.

10/06/1987

Not many updates this past season as I was out of the country and busy with work. However, figured I would post a end of the season wrap up.

Albany finished 84-76, missing the playoffs. Again.

Walsh, Killian (.267/36/119) and Shaw, Alastaire (.276/32/102) paced the offense while Brundage, William finally hit his stride going .336/21/80.

Carter, Cyrus (15-9/2.58 ERA) and Robinson, Eric (14-15/3.74 ERA) lead the pitching staff.

The team is still very young and hopefully will continue to improve. Bring on 1988!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast