Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World Soccer

World Soccer

I've seen ben in the crowd at least twice. He's having a good time twirling his scarf

Re: WC qualifier in seattle

LOL. They are playing great. great soccer tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken 3 days post surgery
    I'm still waiting on the first poop.

Panama isn't much of a quality opponent, but USA have controlled the hell out of this game, with a couple beautiful goals and a few other really good chances. Encouraging to see them at this level.

When people say "what if our best athletes played soccer" the answer is altidore. Has he always looked like a tight end? beasley is us soccer's julio franco.

Quote Originally Posted by andujar View Post
    When people say "what if our best athletes played soccer" the answer is altidore. Has he always looked like a tight end? beasley is us soccer's julio franco.
    Being beefy doesn't help much in soccer. Too much long distance running, foot-eye coordination and being effeminate involved. A lot of the most athletic WR, CB and S would probably be great though. Maybe point guards too.

SS, 2B, CF, PG, CB, WR, and S. Those would be the best soccer playing major American sporting positions as I see it.

It looks like Sweden had their own 2-0 WC qualifier win yesterday. I doubt it generated any excitment, since the Faroe Island team is even weaker than Panama's.
    Psi Phi: Williamsburg Tribe Power (Comm)
    Justice: Jefferson Airplanes ('22)
    TDD: Richmond Rebels (Comm) ('92, '99, '00, '34)
    Psi Sigma: Dillard Dictators (Comm) ('07, '49, '56)
    LCL: NY Lawn Mowers ('93)
    ANB: Edison Electricity ('23, "53)
    BBL: Philadelphia Federalists ('06, '29, '34, '38)
    Recycler: NOVA No Doze ('98, '00, '09, '19)
    VLR: Amritsar Destroyers ('98)
    EBB: Pennsylvania Powder Kegs ('36, '69)
    IBA: Lahaina Luau
    LOL: Fargo Frostbite
    CBF: Cradock Diablos ('59)

23/58 in World Series

Quote Originally Posted by smartbenny24 View Post
    It looks like Sweden had their own 2-0 WC qualifier win yesterday. I doubt it generated any excitment, since the Faroe Island team is even weaker than Panama's.
    Yeah, it didn't do much to change the negative reactions to losing to Austria last week and getting a draw with Ireland earlier. The WC feels unlikely at this point.

Was hoping you guys would draw with Austria so Ireland could sneak the no. 2 spot. We're not a good team, but none of the teams in the group are except ze germans.

I honestly think that this next world cup is the most up for grabs cup in a long time. Spain and Germany are going to be the favorites but both have huge weaknesses on defense if you can make them defend. The US problem is they dont have any natural goal scorers. The defense is young, but it will get better and the US midfield is really strong and has been for quite a few years.
    everyone should have their poop in a group -Sparkysboy

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarwall View Post
    Was hoping you guys would draw with Austria so Ireland could sneak the no. 2 spot. We're not a good team, but none of the teams in the group are except ze germans.

I honestly think that this next world cup is the most up for grabs cup in a long time. Spain and Germany are going to be the favorites but both have huge weaknesses on defense if you can make them defend. The US problem is they dont have any natural goal scorers. The defense is young, but it will get better and the US midfield is really strong and has been for quite a few years.
    You'll get a new chance on September 6, when Sweden visits Ireland and Austria goes to Germany.

I agree that it will be an interesting tournament. Brazil will probably be some sort of favorite being at home and all. And the Netherlands have been strong lately.

I have essentially zero faith in USA's ability to score on any major cup contender. I think this squad's best case scenario is similiar to last time's - they get a lucky draw and a weak group, steal a win, pick up a couple draws, and then get bounced in the first knockout round. Their midfield is solid, as you said, but their backline is shaky, Howard is getting old, and that offense just stalls out way too often. Even last night, all their chances all came from the counter, and it's much harder to get on the break against the more advanced national teams. Their possession offense fails to break through, and I'm not sure they could recover from a goal down against anyone right now. Mexico is looking in shambles, though with 0 goals in 3 games at Azteca, and we have a good shot at finishing first in CONCACAF. Then we just need to bribe someone to end up in a group with Japan, Honduras, and Algeria so we can advance.

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast