Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San Dimas Adventurers

Re: Subcultural Punks

As another fine year of Punks baseball comes to a close, the manager wonders "who's going to replace Myrick once he hits 40?" Only time will tell.
    "Touch 'em all, Joe! You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!"
    -Tom Cheek's call on Joe Carter's walk-off, championship-clinching homerun, WS Game 6, Oct 23, 1993.

Here come the Punks.

We weathered the storm that was 1985 and bridged the gap between an old, under talented and overpaid team (formerly Bashville Traders) and are moving on to become a lean, mean Punk rockin' machine. Woooooo!
    -Tom Cheek's call on Joe Carter's walk-off, championship-clinching homerun, WS Game 6, Oct 23, 1993.

Well, the start of 1986 was memorable all right...the team posted a record of 19-45 at one point, just a hair UNDER the .300 mark. Incredible.

Baseball is a strange game and this season was an excellent example of that. In those first 65 games, we lost an unbelieveable number of 1-run and extra innings games and also managed to blow big leads late in the game an unfathomable number of times. However, I knew we had a solid team, so I stayed the course. I had some sub-par offers for future superstars by owners that thought I may give in to the pressure and make a move in desperation, but again, I had faith that the team was built solidly and that they would turn around.

And they did. As I write this the team is 69-87, almost a .550 record since we ended that dismal slump. Our key players started to hit again. Rick Myrick at one point was batting under 200 with single digits in HR's. And our pitching staff and defence are starting to play like they were created. Despite our record, our team is right in the middle of the road in WHIP and ERA, ranked 12th and 13th in the league and our team OPS isn't too far behind...ranked 15th in the league.

I put this team together with a formula that had two main themes in mind and next year we hope to contend for a playoff position. Our young hitters will benefit from the maximum training we've given them and some of them will be near all-star levels. Our young pitching staff will gain some much needed endurance and those small increases should make a big difference in those close games that we've been seeing.

Pushing .600 for 1987? Maybe, but it'll be a battle.

Can I get this thread renamed to San Dimas Adventurers?

Our "Excellent" squad for 1988 looks like this:

2B Urban, Kevin - 26 year old 2B with some range. He should hit for average and draw some walks, and has respectable speed as well.
    1B Thacker, Tom - 26 year old should be a prototype #2 hitter. He will draw a bunch of walks, and will improve in this category going forward, too. Should also hit for a decent average and keep the strikeouts low.
    DH Hill, Anthony - I would have to guess the previous owner expected more than Hill has ever produced. At full scouting, his BA is 97/99, yet his only .300+ season was his rookie year. Hopefully a move to permanent DH will fix that.
    RF Strummer, Joe - This 22 year old is one of 5 rookies in the offensive mix this year. He's got good range in RF and will murder left handed pitching. He doesn't have much of an arm, which is why he isn't playing in CF. In time, he should develop into a 100 BB, 30 HR player, but will likely just hit for power as a rookie.
    CF Kincaid, Louis - This 24 year old rookie will be our every day CF. He's got very good power, and decent range in CF, and has some speed too.
    SS Brewer, Don - A 21 year old rookie has elite range at SS, has the best power of any player on the team, and speed as well. He's probably a .200 hitter this year, but might have 35 HR. His batting will develop, and he's a legit candidate for 50 HR at SS.
    3B Cossette, Fredrick - Another 21 year old rookie. He's got average range at 3B, but an elite glove. In time, will be a .320 hitter with mid 20s HR power. For now, probably .280 with high teens HR.
    C Cervantes, James - Yet another rookie. Cervantes is 25, and really isn't much of a catcher. He puts the bat on the ball, has nice power, shouldn't strike out too much, and has a bit of speed. Once Escobar, Kevin is ready, Cervantes is expendable.
    LF Orcutt, Jerry - A very solid outfielder with pretty average offensive potential. He's available for trade.

SP1 Washington, Kyle - 26 year old with high PO and CO. I'm not sure why he wasn't starting in 1987.
    SP2 Hill, Robert - 21 year old rookie with high PO, an developing FI and CO. He's got the EN to go deep in the game, but will likely walk too many guys to do so this season. Watch him in the early 90s.
    SP3 Storer, David - 24 year old rookie with high PO and decent FI and EN. He will likely be either very good or very bad from game to game. Probably looking for low to mid 4.00s ERA at best.
    SP4 Peters, Salome - 23 year old rookie. Very similar to Storer, but with higher overall upside. Another guy to watch when the 90s roll around.
    SP5 Ford, Virgil - Our lone veteran on the staff, is 33 years old. He's had one decent season in the last 5. A 4.50 ERA is about what I'm going to get.
    CBF - San Fran Fighting George Takeis (2018 - ) - WS ('36, '54, '61,'111*)
    RTTB - St. Louis Cardinals (1975 - ) - WS('85*, '86*,87*)
    Alphabet Soup - Name Pending (1981 - ) - WS('81*)

9-10 in World Series

CBF title won posthumously (CSFBL-wise)

Shameless plug:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er?id=BT+Games

Also available on Kindle Fire and Nabi Tablets

"I read all of avidmar's post in the voice of Sam the Eagle." - Comfortablylomb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12